Glass

Lucas     

       I walk quietly on the tile floors, careful not to make too much noise. There are papers askew and lockers hanging open. It looks like one of the abandoned schools you see in those post-apocalyptic movies.The hallway is dead silent.

       I find her in the school chemistry room. I sigh and almost laugh out loud with relief. I look through the window and immediately try the door. It's locked, I can't risk knocking in case whoever has the gun hears me.

      "Hello," I whisper looking around to make sure the coast is clear. I hear angry muffled voices behind the door but eventually the door slowly opens.

       I step inside quickly and a couple guys close the door behind me and lock it quickly. I look around, pretty much everyone is curled up in a ball on the floor. Then I see the golden hair of my Maya. I run over to her and place the bat down on the floor.

       "Maya," I say with my hand placed on her back. She looks up through a crack in her arms and her eyes widen.

       She looks around confused with her mouth open and then she leans forward, I think she's going to hug me, but then I see her arm raise and she punches my shoulder. "Ow!"

        "What are you doing here!? You could have killed yourself you dumb ass!" She punches me again and I can only laugh. She turns away with her arms crossed.

       "Missed you too," I say and kiss the back of her head. Then she gasps and turns to face me, "Riley!"

      "She's okay," I say immediately and she sighs with relief.

      She leans back onto my chest. "I did miss you," she says.

     We hear a gunshot go off and Maya's body jumps and she turns around nuzzling her face into my chest. On top of this being scary as hell, it's probably making her think of the beatings she takes from her dad. She once explained to me the sound of the belt right before it hits her, and I can imagine that is sounds a lot like a gun.

       I squeeze her harder and rest my head on hers. "I'm scared," I hear her say muffled through my shirt.

        "Me too," I stroke her hair. Honestly, I'm not that scared, if I just focus on comforting my baby, I don't even think about the fact that there's a lunatic with a gun outside.

        The gun goes of again and Maya's hand grabs a fistful of my shirt. She brings her knees up without even turning her head out of my chest. Her other hand is around her legs.

      I feel her arm retract from her legs. Her head jerks up. "What? What is it?" I ask. She shows me her hand, horrified, it's covered in blood.

      I immediately look at where her hand was. Her thigh is bleeding heavily. I don't know how I hadn't noticed before. Maybe it was just the relief of seeing her blocked my eyes from seeing the blood.

     "Oh my god," I look closer and there's a big piece of glass deep in her leg.

     "What is it?" She asks scared.

     "Glass," I respond. I look around but no one is paying us any attention, they're all rapped up in their own fear.

      "I don't feel anything though," she says. That can't be good. I take my jacket off and rap it around the wound. "Ow ow ow!" She yells. Her eyes fill with tears.

    "It's ok," I say taking her in my arms again. "We'll get you out of here," the ground and my jeans are smeared with blood.

       "You're and idiot you know that," she says taking my hand.

       "You're the one with glass in your leg you goof!"

       "I hate you," she say laughing.

       "You Love me," I respond, sort of teasingly.

       "Do you have a pen or something?" She asks. I know she's probably going to draw on my hand like she does when she's bored. I doubt she's bored this time though, she probably needs to do something to distract her from the pain.

      I reach over to the desk next to us and feel my fingers wrap around what must be a pen. I give it to her and she immediately starts doodling on my hand. I know I can't just carry her out of here, but her face is already starting to pale from loss of blood. When will the police get here?!

      I look at my hand and see that she's drawing the city. It looks as amazing as her other drawings. Even in my hand and even when she's shot, she still manages to create something beautiful. Man do I got me a woman.