Safe

Lucas

     I'm furious. I walked Maya out of the bathroom earlier telling her that it's okay, but I know it's not. How could someone be so evil as to intentionally hurt someone? Let alone his own daughter!?

    After school, I walk Maya to the subway, Riley's staying late to help her dad rearrange his classroom or something. I would have stayed too, but I know that Maya's in pain and she needs to lay down somewhere comfortable. She can't go back home because her dads there, and no way am I letting her near her father again.

     My parents are home but they'll understand that she needs to stay with us. They have to.

     "Lucas I don't want to bother your parents," she says as were walking to my house. She's grabbing onto my arm for support. I want to carry her but she refused to let me.

      "It won't be bothering them, they'll be okay with it. They've been wanting to meet you anyway," I think saying that just made her nervous, but as we round the corner and my house comes into view, it's too late for her to turn around. Not that i would have let her anyway.

      The front door opens as we walk up the porch stairs and Maya immediately lets go of my arm and stands up a bit straighter.

      "You must be Maya!" Both of my parents are standing in the doorway, as if they were watching and waiting for us to come. Creepy.

        "Hi," Maya actually looks shy. I've never seen her look shy before, not in my year here in New York. It's actually pretty cute.

       "It's so nice to meet you!" My mom comes down from the door smiling and gives Maya a hug. Maya looks surprised, but luckily not in much pain. When my mom pulls away Maya still looks a bit shocked, she gives Mom a smile and then smiles at my dad who is grinning at the two of us.

     We walk through the door, my moms arm around Maya and she's talking Maya's ear off.

     The two of us don't get to have a minute alone together for at least an hour. My parents ask Maya questions about school mainly. They try to steer clear of the father subject. I texted them earlier telling them the situation, pleading for them to allow Maya to stay. They hadn't texted back which made me skeptical, but they seem to be okay with her staying.

      When my parents go to start dinner in the kitchen, I take Maya upstairs, letting her lean on my arm again. We go into my room and I leave the door open so my parents don't think we're doing anything we're not supposed to.

     "When did it start?" I ask immediately as she sits down on my bed. I stay standing, almost pacing. She sighs.

     "The first day I stayed at home. Well, since he's been back at least, he used to do it before he disappeared," I feel the rage inside of me again. I want nothing more than to beat him and see how he likes it. Maya must have sensed I was feeling something because she gets up and takes my hands.
     "It'll be ok. It's not that bad," she says. I should be saying this to her, not the other way around. "I kinda like you. You know that?"

      I smile. "You're not so bad yourself." I kiss her forehead and my parents yell up from downstairs.

     "Dinner!"

     Dinner's actually fun. My mom makes lasagna and it's way better than anything I cooked for Maya when she was staying here. And Short Stack actually starts to loosen up a bit too. She makes my parents laugh at least twice, and it's hard to make my dad laugh so that's pretty impressive. I'm glad that my parents like my girlfriend, especially because I do too. I actually... love her.

      After dinner my parents set up a bed on the couch for Maya while we go back upstairs. I get her my brown "Life Is Good" shirt, her favorite. I find long pajama pants, thinking that she won't feel super comfortable in my boxers around my parents, especially now that we're dating.

     "My parents seem to like you," I say as I toss them to her.

     "You think so?"

     "Totally! My mom doesn't make lasagna for just anyone," she smiles, a genuine smile and it makes me feel a bit more comforted.

     "And Lucas, I am fine," she says it not like a fact, but like she's trying to convince herself. I would usually scold her for telling me that "she's fine" when I know that she's clearly not, but right now, I think she needs to believe that she is.

      I smile at her. "I know. You're more than fine, your safe." She looks unsure. "you are," I state. "He can't get you here," she nods and looks down. I walk over and gently wrap my arms around her for just a second and then let go. I'm trying not to hurt her but at the same time let her know I'm here. It's hard considering all I want to do is wrap her up in my arms and never let anyone touch her ever again.

     She goes to change and then goes downstairs to the couch. It's weird knowing that she's here but not next to me, it doesn't feel right. But I'm just glad that she's here and safe.