Safety Blanket

Maya

We get back to Lucas's house at 5:45 and I thank god that it's not a school day. We walk in and both collapse on the couch. Lucas turns on Disney channel and I resist a laugh. Of course he would watch Disney channel. I close my eyes and after a few seconds, I feel a blanket being put over me. I smile through the sleepiness and lean towards Lucas. My head finds its way to his shoulder, just like it did outside the hospital. I'm too tired to care if it makes me seem weak. He wastes no time laying his head on top mine.

I'm almost asleep when I feel him move away a little. I almost groan in protest but I'm too tired. And then I feel his lips on my forehead. When he pulls away, he whispers, "Don't you dare die Hart,"

                                      .  .  .

I wake up to the sound Suite Life on Deck. It's a comfort I didn't know I needed. I open my eyes and lift my head from Lucas's shoulder. He looks at me and smiles. "Nice hair," he says. I stick my tongue out at him. "Nice face."

"That's the best you got?" He says poking my stomach, making me giggle in a very un-Maya like way.

"Give me a break, its early," I say yawning.

"Actually it's two in the afternoon." He says in a tone of voice that suggests he wins.

"Whatever," I pull the blanket around me and lay down with my head in Lucas's lap staring at the tv.

"Still tired?" He asks combing my bed head with his hands.

"You have no idea. I guess for some reason having extreme migraines doesn't really help your amount of sleep,"

"Fair enough," I close my eyes. Lucas's hands through my hair aren't helpful to the staying awake process. I just lay there, feeling his soft hands going from my forehead to the end of my hair. What must have been ten minutes later, he stops.

"I made you some breakfast, or lunch, or whatever. When you want it, it's in the microwave," he says. I turn to lay on my back and look up at him. He's looking at me, the sun hitting his cheekbones making them look chiseled. I shake the image from my mind.

"You look like hell," I say instead. He laughs.

"Well I didn't get much sleep last night either." He says smiling and looking at me again, continuing with stroking my hair.

"Sorry about that," I say, my eyes fluttering and trying to stay open. His hand stops.

"Did the great Maya Hart just apologize?" He says with exaggerated surprise. I scowl at him and he scowls back.

"I'm gonna go eat," I say breaking the scowl contest and getting up, taking the blanket with me. I get out a plate of waffles and bacon. Man this boy can cook. I bring it back to the couch and eat it while watching shows from my childhood. My mom can only afford cable for a few months a year, so this is pretty fantastic for me.

"When do your parents get back again?" I ask, I don't want to be here when they get back, too awkward.

"Tuesday, so today is Saturday so like three days," I nod. "Speaking of parents, shouldn't you call your mom?" He asks.

"I guess so, I've been gone longer before so she's probably not that worried," I say, continuing to eat my bacon.

"You have?"

"Yeah, I've run away before, usually just to Riley's, but I did go to Boston once. That didn't last long,"

"Wow, you really have lived quite a life Hart," he says stealing part of my waffle.