Older Now

Maya

     I'm home now, and that would be good all by itself, but I learn that Archie's staying with us! How lucky am I!?

     I step into my room and feel better. My room looks so different though, it's darker. I put my bag of hospital things on my squeaky bed and sigh. I move to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror. I look so old. When I saw my friends, I recognized them, like they hadn't changed, or like I remember them looking this old, but myself? Not so much.

      I'm pretty, I'm really pretty. My eyelashes are long and my hair is straight and blonde, flowing down to my elbows, and not to mention, I have boobs! That will take time to get used to. Riley is pretty too, and even Farkle looks good. But Archie, dang, he looks gooood. He even has an accent now, how hot is that. Wait, why am I talking like this?

       I've always had a crush on Archie, but it was a silly little crush, now, it feels different. His attractiveness made my heart beat fast, and I even felt something...down there. It's weird being grown up.

       And that other boy, Lucas, he was very hot too. I would have been drooling if he hadn't scared me. And he's my friend. I think I'll like him.

                                    . . .

        I'm at Riley's house with my friends and I'm happy, I think. Things seem familiar, the smell, the brown walls, the kitchen, it's nice. Baby Auggie is so big now too! I can't believe it, everything's different now. I'm next to Archie and our legs are touching. I don't want to move a muscle for the rest of my life.

       Lucas knocks on the door and comes in. He smiles when he sees me and I give him one back. His seems so happy, I wish I could remember him, it seems like he really does care about me, about all of us. Something changes in his eyes though, when he sees Archie. It's not friendly, I can see that.

      Lucas sits next to Archie, the only space on the couch that's available.

       "This is my stuffed giraffe, remember him?" Riley asks, handing me a little giraffe. I smile, I do.

      "Spot," i know, the most creative name for a giraffe, but we picked it together.

       "Yeah!" Farkle yells from the kitchen. Riley crosses her legs on the floor in front of me.

        "Well, I think that's it," she says, referring to the things she thought might help and jog my memory. "Tv anyone?" She asks, reaching for the remote. Farkle comes back from the kitchen with some spaghetti on a plate and sits next to Riley on the floor. He strokes her hair behind her ear and kisses her temple. I make a weird squeak and their heads whip around towards me.

        "You're together!? Like, together?!" I yell, completely surprised, I would be grossed out, but something about being older makes me think it's kind of cute.

       "We were going to tell you l, but we didn't want to overwhelm you," Riley says hurriedly. I smile and look at everyone. They're all smiling too, except for Lucas. He's looking down at his hands. Like the idea of our friends being a couple makes him... resentful?

       "What's wrong, Lucas?" I ask. He looks up, startled.

      "You just called me Lucas," he says. I'm confused.

       "Why? Do you have a nickname you prefer?" I might be mistaken but I thought I saw a flicker of pain in his eyes for a spilt second.

       "No, Lucas is fine," he says with a smile. His smile is cute. I smile back. Suddenly Archie is in my line of sight.

       "Hey Maya, remember that game we all used to play?" He asks, I do, and I'm flattered that he does too. I hope I'm not blushing!