The Fish

Lucas

     So we've been looking for an animal to kill for two hours now and still nothing. We saw a squirrel but when Zay tried to capture it, he tripped on a  fallen tree branch and fell, scaring it away.

       "Why don't we try the lake? There's fish in there," Zay suggests.

      "Do you know how dirty and disgusting lakes are now a days?" Farkle says, immediately reflecting the idea.

      "That's why people clean, roast and de-scale the fish," Zay retorts.

     "Have either of you actually caught a fish before?" I ask. They shake their heads. "Great,"

                          . . .

      We reach the lake after ten more minutes of walking with Zay complaining about bees and mosquitoes and Farkle trying to defend the insects by stating how essential they are to our life.

       By the time we see the water they are getting ready to fight over ants. "Guys! Come on, let's just try to catch a fish."

       "With what?" They both ask me at the same time.

        I pick up a stick and they shrug, implying that they don't have any better ideas. I approach the water and see a figure about ten yards away. "I got one!" I yell and rush into the water.

        "I think it's already dead!" I hear Zay yell from behind me. I'm gaining on it and dive under water with my spear, very over dramatically.

        "I got it!" I exclaim. I resist gagging at the stench of the purplish fish in my hand. "Smells fresh! Very natural!" I yell to them.

                          . . .

      "Well hello ladies," I say, strutting up to the bench where the girls are sitting. My spear holding the fish slung over my shoulder. The girls stand up to greet us. "Nice findings!" I say, looking at the assorted fruits on the table.

       "Thanks, it was difficult," Riley says wiping her forehead.

       "Where'd you get the strawberries?" Zay asks.

       "A bush," Maya answers.

      "What about the grapes?"

      "..A bush," Maya says hesitantly. She looks at Riley who's just smiling at us.

      "And the apples? " Farkle asks.

      "Also a bush,"

       "Well it looks amazing," I say moving over to the table and grabbing an apple. I'm about to take a bite when I see something. I look up at Maya who's looking at me guiltily. I turn the apple so she can see the sticker, claiming it the property of the New York Supermarket. "Huh," I say sarcastically. Her face drops.

      "I'm sorry but there was nothing here and I didn't want to disappoint you on thanksgiving and-"

       "You know what, it's fine, I'll just go eat my fish which I caught myself! I'm going way over here so I don't gotta look at all ya liars,"

     "Lucas-,"

      I move over to the farthest fire pit and pull out my lighter. The fire is started quickly and I start roasting my fish.

       "I wouldn't eat that thing bro," Zay calls to me from the other side of the camp but I ignore him.

       "Oh look it's eyeball popped out! That's good, that means it's almost done!" I yell to the others who are all sitting on the bench. Maya gets up and starts walking towards me.

       "Hey." She sits down on a log next to me. "I'm sorry,"

      "It's fine, I have my fish. You all have beautiful fresh fruit and I have this disgusting fish.

      "It's not disgusting," she says,unconvincingly.

     "You know why I really wanted to go camping? I feel like I'm turning too girly! We watch all your girly shows all the time and before you say anything, yes i say you can pick the show every time we're together because I like them. Which is bad! I'm actually starting to ship Stydia! Ship! Boys don't ship. And last night I had a dream about a kitten. A freakin kitten. I just thought that somehow camping could make me manlier."

        "You are manly. Just because you like to watch Teen Wolf with me doesn't make you girly. It makes you an amazing and sensitive boyfriend. And have you forgotten how muscular you are!? If that's not manly I don't know what is. Every girl wants to date you and you can name every basketball team in existence."

       "I appreciate that. But the fact that I only caught this ugly disgusting fish doesn't help my confidence. It's gross and a failure just like me and it has-"

      "You are far from a failure and this is the most beautiful fish I've ever seen!" Maya grabs the stick the fish is on.

      "No no no!" I try to reach for it but she's already biting a piece off. I gasp and bite my finger.

       "Mmmmmmm," she says, trying to convince me that it's good. "Very tasty,"

       "Maya, spit that out now!" She shakes her head persistently and closes her eyes. "Now! Don't you dare swallow that!" I see her throat swallow it. "No!Maya, that was already dead when I found it." She coughs. "I'm pretty sure it was laying next to a sock," she gags. And puts her hand to her mouth. I take the stick from her and throw it onto the dirt.

        She moves towards the trees, going to look for a place to throw up.

     "Let me come with you," she cuts me off by holding up her hand behind her, signing for me to stop and then I see her disappear behind the trees.