No magic??

I sit in the third row with Hermione as we wait for class to begin. Of course, the first lesson of the day was Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins, and Umbridge. Lovely.

Ron sat at the table in front of us, Harry no where in sight. He turns around on his bench, facing us. "Where do you suppose Harry is?" He asks, and Hermione shrugs her shoulders. "He better hurry or he will be late" She murmurs, looking through the book for this class.

I take the time to look at the cover and snort at the title. Defense Against The Dark Arts For Beginners. "What?" Hermione asks, looking up from the book. Ron also looks to me, as I turn the book around to face her. "For beginners, what are we, five?" I ask, and Ron snorts too. Hermione rolls her eyes, holding back her smile, when we hear a small cough.

"Welcome. So as you all know, this class will be strictly focusing on passing your O.W.L's and only that alone. You previous years have been-" Umbridge begins, glancing around the room. She's cut off with the door bursting open. We all turn to see Harry walking down the isle, and takes a seat with Ron.

"Sorry for being late, Professor" Harry says, sitting down and pulling out his book. "Oh, that's alright, Mr. Potter. Five points from Gryffindor" She says, before turning her attention back to the rest of the class.

A few giggles are heard from the Slytherin side of the room, and I look in the direction, to see Parkinson snickering with a blonde friend of hers. I roll my eyes at the two girls, before looking back to Umbridge, who continues her lecture.

"So, as I was saying before we were intruppeted... In your previous years with taking Defense Against the Dark Arts, it has been... Rather disjointed. Know that this is about to change. I have a set Defense teaching plan strictly based around the Ministry and its appropriate teaching courses" She pauses, before turning around and flicking her wand.

We all look up to see the piece of chalk begin scribbling notes onto the black board. "If you will, copy all this down" She says, as she begins pacing up and down the isles of the classroom. Everyone gives her a soft groan, but pulls out their quill and parchment, before beginning to take the notes... Everyone except Hermione.

I quickly look to her, as her hand shoots up in the air. Umbridge clearly ignores her, before finally turning her attention back to Hermione. She gives her a fake smile, before talking to her directly. "Yes?" She asks, and Hermione tries to hold back her sarcastic laugh. "I wanted to ask you a question about your course aims. Um..." She pauses, looking back up to Umbridge, before back down to her book.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells... Or using magic at all" Hermione says, placing her book back on the desk. We all turn our attention back to Umbridge, who shakes her head slowly, before answering.

"Well, I can assure you, you wont need to actually do any type of spells inside my classroom at all" Umbridge says, giving Hermione a stern look. Hermione lets out a small laugh, before continuing again. "But surely the whole point of Defense Against the Dark Arts is practical application.." Hermione fights against Umbridge, but Umbridge comes back with another gunshot.

"Miss Granger, this class has been approved by Ministry experts. Are you a Ministry expert?" She asks, and Hermione rolls her eyes, before answering her. "No, but-" She goes to argue, but Umbridge cuts her off again. "Then you have no reason challenging someone who is. We will be learning about spells in a risk free and harmless environment and if you cant accept that then-" This time, Hermione cuts her off, shocking us all.