3. Stepping In.

ALEKSY

I felt the tension as soon as he walked in. His of course, not mine. To me he was a mere irritant. One I could swat with the flick of my wrist.

To dare enter my territory when I made it clear that I had no interest in seeing him,Kaveh was a desperate man and his desperation piqued my curiosity. He whined to me about his sister getting kidnapped and I didn't see what that had to do with me until he asked for my help. Help, that I was not interested in giving. He was the Alpha of an enemy pack. Any pack that wasn't mine was the enemy. They feared me and for a good reason. I wasn't known for my mercy but I did not attack without cause. It irritated me that he wanted me to clean up his mess. He couldn't take care of his people and now he wanted me to swoop in and play hero.

"She's innocent," he said and I suppose I could understand what he meant. She had no place in our enmity and should not have to suffer because of the enemies he had made, but that was just how it was done. You targeted weaknesses. Obviously his biggest weakness, his mate, would have been well protected. But this man had more than one weakness. It was easy to see the anguish pouring out of him. His sister was lost and he had no way of getting her back. It was true when he said there were places in these forests known only to my pack and he saw that as his last hope. I knew if I wanted to, I could make him beg but I had no time to indulge in petty pleasures.

I still wasn't interested in wasting my time looking for his lost objects but this man Sloan intrigued me. Kaveh was a powerful man. Anybody would be stupid to cross him. I could crush him with my fist but I knew he was feared by many. Sloan was a rogue and probably wouldn't be able to compare to him in strength but had obviously outwitted him.

I agreed to help him in hopes that I might learn more about this man but reminded Kaveh that he was indebted to me. His eyes cooled at my words but he thanked me. I had no use for him but it wouldn't hurt to have a few cards in my back pocket..

After he left I sat down to resume my work when I saw the picture he had left behind. I hadn't really bothered with it before but now I really studied it. It was the perfect picture. It captured the excitement in her large blue eyes. Her face was framed by wild brown hair and her cheeks were tinged with pink, whether from the exertion or just the sun I didn't know. She seemed to have been running and the picture was taken when she looked back. Her face sported a wide smile. Happy. That's how she looked. I wondered what she felt at this moment. Afraid? Was she even alive to feel anything?

It would take a blind man not to see the beauty that she obviously possessed. Not the kind of beauty you bought with make up but the natural kind. But these days you never knew, women made it seem natural but the moment they washed their faces, they emerged looking like the sisters of Godzilla.

Hell, I had lain with my share of women and every one of their beauty was artificial. They caked their faces with make up and oozed desperation which I took advantage of when I wanted to. Needless to say,they were satisfied but for me it was all empty.

I shook my head and mind linked my Beta, asking him to come to my office. Chad was perhaps the only person who really knew me and had my respect. We grew up together and he never tried to get closer than he was allowed. I gave him the photograph and told him the places I had in mind that I wanted checked out. He looked at me in surprise because I had decided to help but didn't question me.

"I'll see to it right away Alpha." He said bowing his head slightly to show respect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost a week had passed but my wolves were having no luck. This had turned into more of a challenge for me. I pondered over the situation wondering if there was something I missed. I had the forest combed through, including territories of the other three packs. Ash Lunar had welcomed it considering it was their sweetheart that had gotten abducted. The girl was obviously loved by all considering the anger and fear for her safety that I had seen on their faces. The other packs didn't really have a choice. Those who were stupid enough to stand in my way would never have the opportunity to make a stupid mistake ever again. I gave them my reason so as not to waste time fighting them but it didn't serve the purpose. Every place that was known only to my pack was checked out with absolutely no luck.

I walked over to the map of the forest that was pinned to the wall in my office and studied it. I was definitely missing something. I had a feeling that he wouldn't have taken her outside the forest because he would want to be close to the enemy and see him suffer. If it were me I would have let the enemy know what I was doing to her but I supposed there was a certain torture in not knowing as well. Where would he not be found? Suddenly a thought struck me but it seemed unlikely. I was the only one who knew of the place.

I was around 9 when I heard my father tell my mother about it. He was the only one who knew of it. It was knowledge that was passed down to every Alpha of the Dark Moon pack. I had found out by eavesdropping. He told her about a shelter under No Man's Land. It was to be used only when absolutely needed. The entrance was through a tree. Well it was fashioned to look like a tree. "Inside the hollow of that tree, is a lever. You pull it and it opens into the shelter."

I decided that I would explore it but never got around to it. Eventually, I had forgotten about it but it looked like the opportunity had risen again. I would have to go to this place personally. I couldn't leave this one to Chad.

"Gather about fifty wolves. I think I know where the girl is." I mind linked Chad.

Twenty minutes later I was leading my pack into No Man's Land. They followed as wolves but I did not see the need to let my wolf out. Even in human form I was faster than all of them. I recalled my father's words about the tree that led into the shelter. When we reached, I sniffed around for it. It would be the only tree that didn't really smell like...well a tree. Most of No Man's land was just grass and it was bordered by trees. I found the one I was looking for and saw the hollow that my father talked about. I reached in carefully and my hand wrapped itself around cold metal. I pulled it and it moved with ease, confirming that it was frequently used. The base of the tree opened up to reveal a dark stairwell. The only light came from the sun. I was hit by the scent of rogues along with the smell of dampness. I was almost sure she would be inside if she was still alive.

When we descended the stairs we were met by a long corridor lit by a single light bulb. I took a step in and was greeted by a growl. I wondered how many rogues there were here. A grey lone wolf emerged from the end of the corridor. It charged and to the human eye it would have been a grey blur but I saw each movement clearly. It lunged at me and I caught it by the neck. The rest of my wolves charged from behind me to meet the other rogues that were now charging at us in a head to head battle. I slammed the wolf in my hold against the wall and looked it in the eye.

"Shift." I commanded. Even a rogue, who's loyalty lay with no one but himself would have trouble disobeying me. It shifted and turned into a dark haired man in his late twenties.

"Sloan?" I asked.

"H-he's not here," he stuttered, fear evident in his eyes at sensing my power.

"Where is he?" I asked getting impatient.

"I don't know," he said and I tightened my grip on his throat. "He disappears for some time every day and doesn't tell us where he's going." he croaked.

"Is there a girl here? Eighteen years old, held hostage? The sister of an Alpha." I asked and he gulped. I got my answer. I ripped his throat out and walked over the corpses of various rogues. They may be dangerous but they were no match for my wolves. The problem with rogues was that they only fought for themselves. They did not know how to fight as one. If they did, they'd have a greater chance at survival.

There were so many scents and I was going in blind. I didn't know what I was looking for. Despite myself, I sniffed as I walked hoping to catch something. I came across a room with a bed. It was the first I had seen and the sheets were stained with blood. There were chains on the floor by the bed and and holes in the wall. Was this where she was held? Had he killed her or was she just moved? I left the room to continue my search. This place was larger than I initially assumed. I found another stairwell. I peered down, which was when I heard it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do comment and tell me what you think :)

Thank you <3