13. A Fight I Don't Plan To Lose.

ALEKSY

Just as I'd instructed, Chad was waiting in the Jag outside Kaveh's house for me.

I slipped into the passenger seat and rubbed my tired eyes. I shut them as I heard Chad connect his phone to the aux cable. He pressed play and music blared through the speakers.

"So she said what's the problem baby?
what's the problem I don't know well maybe I'm in love, love
Think about it every time I think about it
Can't stop thinking 'bout it"

My eyes shot open and I turned to glare at him. He grinned and began singing along.

"How much longer will it take to cure this?
Just to cure it 'cause I can't ignore it if it's love, love makes me wanna turn around and face me but I don't know nothing 'bout love."

I growled and pressed the next button while he was still belting out the lyrics. The next song put me in an even worse mood.

"I thought love was only true in fairy tales.
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Love was out to get me, that's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams..."

I narrowed my eyes at the lyrics. Generally, I liked this song. Smash Mouth was good. It was upbeat. But now I wanted to break the stereo and maybe Chad's skull while I was at it.

"And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love I'm a believer I couldn't leave her if I tried."

I tried to tune out the song and Chad's awful singing but it was proving to be difficult.
I huffed and stared out of the window. He was seriously getting on my nerves.

"Awww don't pout I was only joking." He said with a guffaw.

"You're asking to get your ass ripped off," I warned but he simply laughed again.

"Yeah yeah you love me and you know it." He teased. "You'd be lost without me."

"I feel like you're getting too delusional for your own good," I said turning to raise an eyebrow at him.

His smile got smaller and suddenly he looked nervous.

"Something on your mind?" I asked.

"Why would you ask that?" He asked glancing at me and swallowing loudly.

I rolled my eyes. "You're doing that ugly thing with your face that I warned you about," I said. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked but he rarely got nervous.

"I just..I.." he stammered and I pretended to yawn.

"Alyssa's pregnant! " he blurted and I whipped my head around to stare at him. He was quiet, waiting for my reaction.

"Congratulations man. That's great." I said and he smiled. I thought about it. Chad would make a great father and Alyssa...hell she'd probably be the best mother around. She was used to kids so that probably wouldn't be a problem. Chad was awkward around kids but he loved them.

I looked at him again and noticed he still had the look.
"Don't tell me it's twins," I said.

"Huh?" He asked confused.

"The look hasn't disappeared so obviously there's something more. Is it double trouble?"

"That's not it..." he trailed off.

"Spit it out."

"We, that is Alyssa and me...uh..we..you know...we want you to be the godfather." He said softly staring intently at the road but I just sat there in shocked silence staring at him.