12. The Stupid Schoolgirl Crush Is Long Gone.

ELAHEH

Jackie and I followed the men into my brother's study. My heart still pounded from my encounter with the rogue but I was calmer now.

Kaveh moved to sit in the large leather chair behind his desk while Aleksy settled into the one opposite him. Out of respect for the two Alphas, my best friend and I continued to stand.

"Obviously Sloan has found a new hiding place," Kaveh said getting straight down to business.

"And a new team of mutts," Aleksy added with a slight frown on his face. "I don't think he's hiding in the forest. He knows that no stone will be left unturned till he's found and he's smarter than we've given him credit for."

"But he's hidden under our noses before and gotten away with it," I added hesitantly to which Kaveh winced slightly.

" Yes, but he won't be stupid enough to repeat it. He knows he'll be found. We should expand our search. Perhaps go into the city." Aleksy replied.

This was the first conversation I was having with him after that day. I was a little disappointed to admit that it didn't feel like I was speaking to my mate.

"Perhaps that's what he expects us to do. He knows we'll assume that he's not close to us and when we least expect it he'll attack." I argued almost panicking at the thought.

"Except that I've already scoured the forest. I've spent the last two weeks combing through every blade of grass but there is no sign of him. I'm sure your brother has too." He said to which Kaveh nodded thoughtfully.

My heart fluttered slightly at the thought that he might be doing this for me...or he just liked the chase. That dampened my mood a little bit.

"I think your sister should be living with me," Aleksy said suddenly and my heart skipped a beat.

What??? I thought I had a month!! I was not ready to go to his pack.

"Rubbish. We agreed that she would have a month before she came to live with you." Kaveh said, seemingly calm but I knew my brother and the way his breathing slowed, I could tell he was trying to calm down.

"I'm not asking Alpha. She will have better protection in my pack." Aleksy said, his tone clipped.

"She is well protected here. I think we proved that today." Kaveh retorted.

"My wolves are stronger and better trained."

"The hell they are. I will not put my sister in the care of a man I do not know or trust."

"If it weren't for me she wouldn't even be here. You'll do well to remember that."

"Well then I'll tell you if we need your help again but I will not hand her over to you now. We agreed that she would get a month. "

"In case you've forgotten, she is my mate. And if I have to rip each of your wolves apart to take her back with me I will. I'm not about to leave her in the protection of a man who has failed to protect her before."

The silence in the room was deafening. Not only had he just threatened the pack...he'd just hit Kaveh where it hurt. I knew he'd been beating himself up over what happened to me. He believed it was his fault when really it was mine for not heeding his warning. If I'd just stayed within the pack territory I probably would have been safe.

"You wouldn't hurt the pack. " I said a little uncertainly. He looked me right in the eye leaving me a little breathless.

"I would." He said simply.

With difficulty, I broke away from his gaze and looked at Kaveh. Although his face looked calm, his eyes were stricken. He would never leave a man to die. Even if it were someone who wasn't me, he would fight Aleksy to protect them. But that would mean a great loss to the pack. The lives of many for one man? These things had to be taken into consideration. I huffed. As if I would let another die for me.