I Lied

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

I watched the snowfall at two in the morning. I watched the snow fall in the middle of the night, thinking that this will be the Christmas I won't enjoy. The Christmas that ruined everything; the one where he wasn't there with me to kiss my nose and tell me how adorable I am or caress my hair and express how fluffy it is.

The first Christmas that he won't be there to usher me under a mistletoe and tell me to kiss him. The first Christmas where he won't cuddle with me under the fire and watch Mitch and Scott throwing snowballs at each other.

The first Christmas that he won't wake me in the morning to eat so I wouldn't sleep in. The first Christmas that will be carved in my mind for years to come, but not in a good way.

I didn't want Christmas to come. I didn't want to be constantly reminded of him. I didn't want to think of him as I fell asleep, but I can't help it.

I was, and am still in love with Avi Kaplan.

I remembered how nervous he was when he first asked me out.

"K-Kirstie?" Avi spoke nervously. I looked to him, clinging to my college textbook. "Yeah?"

He shifted on his feet, "I... um... I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me sometime?" His eyes were filled with worry and traces of hope. I smiled, "I would love to, Avi. It sounds like a lot of fun."

He nearly exhaled but calmed himself, "I... yes. Okay, good. That's... that's great," he grinned. I smiled at the guy I knew the majority of my life.

Then I thought of that exact date and smiled. That was three years ago; we were seniors about to graduate college.

I stared at myself in the mirror as I heard Mitch in the background. He was humming some lyrics to some song called 'Just For Now' and I knew he enjoyed by the amount of times he'd sing it everyday.

I had on a maroon dress that ended at the bottom of my knees. I wasn't sure where we were going so I went for a casual look, wearing black flats and had neatly curled hair.

A knock was heard and Mitch started to cackle, "Don't have sex yet!"

I blushed immediately as I walked to the door. I opened it, revealing a very nice looking Avi. I knew he was about to smirk. "Blushing already?"

I groaned, putting my face into my hands. "No! Mitch just—" I started but was interrupted, "I know. I heard him," he admitted, red creeping up his neck.

I shifted on my feet, "Alright, let's go, then," I said, hurrying him out to avoid any other confrontations with Mitch.

As I left with him, I sighed, "Thank God," I muttered.

"I'm guessing he's your roommate?" Avi asked while smiling. I nodded, "Sadly."

"He seems cool. At least he cares, yeah?" Avi smiled again. I shrugged, "Yeah, I guess."

He led me down the building and to his car. He drove to Olive Garden and I gave him a weird look. He didn't seem like the type for salads and greens. He blushed immediately, "Oh, shit, is this not okay? We can leave—" I stopped him, "I don't mind the place, Avi," I said, "But I don't think you're the type to eat salads. You seem like the barbecue and ribs type of guy. Again—I don't care about the restaurant. If you don't want to be here, we can leave," I explained.