The Book of Life

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

Here's the deal; when each and every person is born, we're given a book. A book of our life. We all must read one page per day, no less and no more. The consequences of reading none or more than needed are getting three days of bad luck. Or what people have told me.

No one in my city has taken that risk luckily. No one had, except for me. I figured, what could be worse than what my life was at right now? My family hated me, my boyfriend cheated on me, and my friends betrayed me. Why not?

And so I read two sentences on a page that was supposed to not be read until morning. What a big mistake that was.

She sits on the bed, her finger twitching against the paper of the book in complete concentration, wondering if a speck of bad luck were to happen, but little did she know that maybe, just maybe, did what society told her was a lie. Maybe bad luck wasn't the consequence, or maybe it was.

The book was right. I was completely concentrated and was curious to see if something bad were to happen. I sighed, since nothing interesting happened, and I set the book on my nightstand, turning the light of my lamp off as I snuggled into the comfort of my bed. Oh well. I'll just find out what'll happen tomorrow.

***

Day One

I woke up, immediately jolting up. I had a bad feeling about something, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I looked around. It seemed to be around 11 AM, and the light from the sun outside was shining brightly. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. That was, until I looked to my nightstand and saw it.

My book. It was gone.

I panicked immediately. Oh god, oh god. I can't go a day without reading it. I have to find it. Did it drop somewhere? I looked down to the ground and widened my eyes. It wasn't there. Shit, why Kirstie? Why did you have to do that? Did your mentally unstable 11 PM self have to do that? Was it so necessary that you may have just ruined your life?

I threw the blankets off of myself and looked around frantically. If I don't find it, then I have to go the council, and they're inexplicably rude.

Shit, shit. I can't go to the council. I can't, I can't. But I have to. I can't just not have the book. It's of my life. I could die.

And so, I shoved on some black jeans, a plain Panic! At The Disco tshirt under a gray hoodie, and some old maroon converse. I grabbed my phone and threw my hair into a bun as I basically sprinted out of my house and to the council. Shit.

Realizing I was there after a few minutes of panicky running, I went inside, my only breathing being panting from the exercise I ensued. I slowly went up to the desk and greeted the woman, saying it was a Book Emergency, to which she completely understood and sent me to the council's office. Without a trace of hesitation, I went to their room quickly. I felt nerves build up in my stomach as I did. I knocked twice, then a man's voice told me to come in.

I opened the door, and looked to the man that had told me to. He was tall, dark skinned, and his head had hair but it didn't seem like he did. He seemed very nice and had pictures of a girl and him on his desk, as his walls were filled with pictures of a blond, a brunet and him. The brunet had bangs that covered one of his eyes slightly, his eyes being chocolate brown, and the blond had ocean blue eyes and his hair was styled into a quiff. The three of them seemed happy.

"Kirstie Maldonado?" He inquired, and I nodded. "My name's Kevin," he said, smiling and shaking my hand for a brief second. I nodded, then frowned. "I lost my book," I said.

He didn't even react, and without speaking, he walked over to his desk and opened his drawer, taking out a slip of paper and handing it to me. I reluctantly took it, and read it.

How To Recover a Stolen or Lost Book (of Life) :

1. Go to Los Angeles
2. Find Avi Kaplan
3. Get to their council
4. Receive new book

I looked at the paper in complete shock. I have to go in LA before today runs out, and I have to meet some guy to get it. "Who's Avriel?" I asked.

"You'll know," he said. I nodded slowly, and then he spoke again. "You have approximately six hours before your life runs out," he said sadly. "Find the book. Oh, and call the man Avi."

I nodded again, and I stuffed the paper into my back pants pocket. "Thank you," I said softly, and he smiled, "No need to thank me. Thank Avi. Goodbye, and good luck," he said. "There will be a car waiting for you outside. Oh, and the closer your time runs out, the closer you'll get to feeling weak. Just remember, that you won't die if you have the book. No need to read it, just touch it," he stated. I nodded for the third time.

Oh god. Off to LA. And that was about five hours away.

***

By the third hour of driving in the uncomfortable car, I knew I was getting more tired and felt my limbs weakening a bit, but I ignored it, knowing that even though all of the bad things happened in the past, that taking my life wouldn't be worth any of it, whether it be purposeful or accidental. I will not die today.

Pressing my foot onto the gas pedal harder out of frustration, I made sure not to go over the speed limit or crash, even though there wasn't really anyone driving on this road except for me.

I took the bottle of water out of its holder from my peripheral vision, I took a sip after I tore the lid off. I sighed. What if this guy won't give me the new book? Then what? Does he die if I do, too? Good. Oh god, Kirstie. Don't think like that. No one deserves to die in this world.

Soon, I reached my fifth hour, and I was only about ten minutes from LA, so I knew that I was gonna get there soon. I felt my arms starting to shake a bit, so I knew I was either weakening or I needed food. So I settled for stopping at a fast food restaurant and ordering a burger before going on my way. The burger didn't really help. My vision was getting a little blurrier.

After I made it to LA, I made it completely necessary to find "Avi Kaplan" and their council.

As I stopped the car, my vision became worse as I struggled to open the door. I furrowed my eyebrows, and that's when I was going to fall to the ground as a dark color ensued me, but as I was passing out, somebody caught me and somehow I knew it was Avi Kaplan.

***

"Wake up," someone's deep voice soothed me as I struggled opening my eyes due to the light. He dimmed it and then I was finally able to. I looked up at a man that seemed around my age, probably older. He was really attractive. He had a beard and all that. I didn't quite feel like myself. I felt like a new person, and I don't know if I liked it.

"Are you Kirstie Maldonado?" He asked softly. I nodded, then tried to get up, only to fall back down on the comfort of something warm and soft. I looked to my arms, to see that it was just a dark blue couch.

"Are you Avi?" I inquired with a scratchy throat. He nodded, then examined my face. He got up from his crouching position on the floor to standing and I realized he wasn't that tall. I mean, taller than me, probably by like 6 inches, but he seemed about 5'10 or 5'11. He was thin, too. He was quite a looker in general.

"You're fine," he said from another part of the strange place. I looked around from where I could, and it seemed like a formal office, probably LA's council's.

As I tried to get up, he came rushing to me and stopped me. "No, stop. I mean you're fine-ish. You can't really leave right now," he sighed. "But you do need this," he said, taking something off of the table next to me.

My book.

***

a/n:: when u randomly think of a weird kavi one shot & post it