Orphanage

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

The older you get as an orphan, the less wanted you become. That's the life of Avi Kaplan, Kevin Olusola, Mitch Grassi, Scott Hoying, and me, Kirstie Maldonado. Us five were considered the more musical type of orphans. Mitch and I were the youngest while the other three were the oldest. Unfortunately, it looked like Kevin and Avi wouldn't be adopted at all, so they'd have to spend their eighteenth and a little bit of their nineteenth year here. All of us except for those two were seventeen, so we all couldn't wait until we turned nineteen so we could officially and legally leave the place.

While I loved everyone there, it was a pain and so depressing to be near. There were so many kids I loved spending time with, but never got too close with because I knew they'd be leaving soon. I knew that it'd hurt me when they did, so I just always smiled and played with them when they asked but never really did anything else.

"And so," I concluded with the story I read to the bunch of nine year olds. "The charming princes trotted off into the sunset with a tight hold onto each other's hands and a love that would never go out if their love was a match waiting to be blown out, but had no winds or air to throw it off its own course."

The story was originally a straight couple relationship, but I wanted the kids to know there was nothing wrong with by and boy or girl and girl relationships. A child held their hand up, and I chuckled, but called them out. "Yes, Christopher?"

"Why are they both boys?" He asked. I let a smile fly itself onto my face, "Because the boys didn't like girls. It's fine if they liked boys instead."

Christopher nodded and a light appeared in his eyes that I haven't seen before. He let his hand fall again and started talking to the boy next to him. "Nice work, Bubble," Avi elbowed me lightly. I rolled my eyes but looked back up to him. "Thanks, jerk," I joked. [a/n: ;) FreakyFruitFly]

"Can I read one to them?" Avi asked and I nodded, getting off of the stool so he can sit on it. "Guys," I said. "Avi's going to read you a story now."

They all stared at the dark haired boy. I smiled at him, and then he spoke. "Except I'm not going to read anything. I'm going to tell you a story I just personally know about."

They all nodded, waiting patiently for him to begin. As he started, I found myself listening, as well.

"Once upon a time, there was a girl and four boys that were stuck in an orphanage until they were nineteen years old. They loved the kids there, so it wasn't that bad, but they still wished they could be somewhere else, like maybe a home instead of a home of kids without guardians. The people were named Kirstin, Avriel, Mitchell, Scott, and Kevin, and they were all really close friends, except Kirstin, Avriel, and Mitchell all liked to be called Kirstie, Avi, and Mitch.

"Mitch and Scott were closer than the rest of them, but the biggest bond was Kevin and Avi," he smirked at me and I chuckled. Someone raised their hand and Avi looked at them, "Yeah?"

"Are these people you guys?" the girl asked.

"In a way, yes," Avi said. "Except they're a little different. My own world, perhaps. Anyways, Avi really liked Kirstie. Like, really really. He would always think of her all day and it always put a smile on his face. He couldn't have liked anyone else even if he wanted to, but he never did want to. Instead, he let himself think of unrealistic realities every waking day and sleeping night.

"So, Avi always kept his distance. He wasn't all that close with the other three people. He only trusted Kevin because he wasn't going anywhere quite yet, but Avi felt like he also wasn't going anywhere. Mitch, Scott, and Kirstie were also distant but tried to become Avi's friend whenever they could. This was only the beginning of their story.

"Eventually, Kevin convinced Avi that he should start making friends with the other three somehow, maybe even talk to the younger children at the orphanage. He said that even though they were going to leave one day that he should make as many friendships as he can, but never get too close. To never get as close as he was with Kevin, but Avi made a mistake and started to love talking to Kirstie, Scott, and Mitch. Especially Kirstie," he then smiled at me while a blush landed on my cheeks.

"It turns out that Kirstie also liked Avi, just a little bit, at least. They hung out more than the rest and stayed up on long nights with each other even though they weren't allowed to a lot of times. They talked so much and about everything but never ran out of things to talk about. Sometimes, though, they didn't know what to talk about and stayed silent, appreciating the other's company despite the utterly tranquil atmosphere the two had always found themselves facing.

"Kirstie," he said, looking at me, "and Avi eventually fell in a deep love."

The kids, mostly the girls, were listening intently with small smiles on their faces. Another kid raised their hand, and then Avi called their name. "What was it like?" The boy asked. "What was what like?" Avi inquired, staring at him, a hint of amusement shining in his greenish hazel eyes.

"Falling in love with her," he responded. Another blush hit me as I watched Avi, awaiting his reply. He then smiled, "Have you ever been on a rollercoaster?" He asked the child. The kid nodded. "Well," he continued, "it's like that, except there were a lot of bumps and sometimes it had errors in the tracks. You didn't know where you were going, too, and you still wouldn't if you were still on it. I sure am still on it. It's made me a little dizzy, too."

"Really?" He grinned. Avi nodded in response as I smiled at the two, then Avi looked back up at me. He started walking towards me, and I stood up straighter, the smile on my face still there. He then pecked my lips for a brief second, and after that, we both looked back at the kids. Most were talking but some were staring at us with big grins.

***

a/n:: IT'S SUMMER I'M GOING TO BE IN CALIFORNIA THIS MONTH I'M SO EXCITED YAY

also i don't think there will be a part 2 to control :( sorry

bUT sUMMER yAY

HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE ILY ALL