Coffee Shop

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

I would always see this boy come in to my family's coffee shop every morning and sometimes even at night. He had long dark hair that ended a little above his shoulders but he rarely wore it down, always putting it into a low and fancy man bun that even I was wondering how he got all of his hair into it. He had a long, dark, and frankly, fluffy looking beard. He loved flannels and he almost always wore these black jeans and I couldn't stop thinking about this boy.

Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of customers every day, but none came in every single day like he had. So when the boy came in and seemed a bit nervous, I was a little confused. I stayed at the cashier and waited for him to reach it, and when he did, he coughed and stared at me. A smile threatened to pull onto my lips at his awkwardness, and so I spoke. "Hello," I said and he snapped out of his trance. "Would you like your regular?"

He nodded, a pinkness forming onto his cheeks. "Y-yes."

He didn't really speak, so whenever he did, I sort of jumped at how low his voice was. "Alright," I smiled at him. "A dollar forty."

He handed me the money, and his hand brushed against mine, and it was hard to ignore the fire igniting through my arm, but I did somehow. I sent the order to my best friend that got a job here - Scott - and he got it prepared to give to the man in front of me. Eventually he finished and I took it from him, but then I dropped it with a scream as I felt my hand burning. "Fuck!" I yelped. The guy in front of me had wide eyes, "Are you okay?"

I wanted to say there is coffee everywhere and I felt some spring to my leg and I feel like Satan bathing in holy water and I need to go and fucking cool down, but I couldn't. Scott came to my side and got rid of the coffee on the ground as I stayed in place and felt like screaming. "F-fu... y-yeah. I'm f-fine," I bit my lip, gripping my hand. "I'll j-just be right b-back..." I rushed to the bathroom, figuring holding my hand under cold water would get rid of the stinging sensation a bit.

"Nice job, Kirstie," I muttered to myself. "Look at what you did."

I kept muttering profanities to myself as I finished tending to my hand. Idiot. I finally left the bathroom, a blushing and embarrassed mess. "Sorry about that," I muttered to the guy when I was near him. He shrugged, "It's fine."

"What's your name anyways?" I asked curiously. I didn't want to keep referring to him as "the guy". "I'm Avi," he said, sticking his hand out. I looked to it and shook it. "I'm Kirstie."

"I know," he stated. "Your name tag."

My hand instinctively went to my name tag as I blushed, "Right. Sorry."

"Don't apologize," he shook it off. "That tall blond guy got me a new coffee anyways," he stated, holding up the cup with a smile. I smiled back, "Alright then. Well, Avi, besides the fact I dropped your coffee, I hope I left a good impression for you."

"You did, don't worry."

***

Avi and I exchanged numbers when he left, and I don't regret it, but I do regret the burn forming on my palm. Ouch. Whenever I touched it, I could feel myself turning into hell slowly.

I ran my good hand through my hair, closing my eyes. You embarrassed yourself a lot today, Kirstie, I thought. Don't do it again.

Yeah, I won't. Or at least I'll try not to.

***

I lied to myself. I embarrassed myself once more when I met with Avi again at the shop. I dropped a plate of bagels and a jug of water (luckily it wasn't coffee this time) on the ground and a gigantic clattering and cracking noise echoed throughout the small building. I froze, staring down at the glass that shattered. My cheeks turned red and my body became shaky. Fuck.

"Whoa, you okay? Kirstie?" Avi's voice made me worry. He probably thinks I'm some clumsy idiot that can't do anything. Crap, crap, crap. I heard his voice fading as I felt hands gently touch my shoulders. Stop, I thought. I don't know who I was telling to stop - myself or him.

I snapped out of my trance and looked at him, "I'm s-sorry," I said, sighing. "Sorry," I repeated.

"Don't be. What's wrong?" He looked at me and I finally looked into his eyes. "Nothing," I said. It was the truth, I've just been zoning out a lot lately.

"Okay, well, I'll help you clean this." I nodded at him, "That'd help a lot. But you don't have to, don't feel like you do."

"I want to, chill."

"Okay, okay," I pursed my lips and headed for the closet where our cleaning supplies were. Avi followed, and when we got there I gave him a broom and dustpan while I had two rags. "Sorry," I said for the tenth time probably.

"Stop. It's fine," he smiled at me, and I felt like jello when he did, but I ignored it. I followed Avi back to the mess, and I felt terrible as we did. He shouldn't be the one to help me with this. I stayed silent as we cleaned the small mess. The horrid feeling in my stomach made me feel bad - physically and regretfully. I shouldn't be so stupid. Why must I be so clumsy? Maybe if I— "Kirstie?"

I snapped out of my thoughts, looking at him a bit startled. "Yeah?"

"We're done. And you look like you've been thinking too hard. Anything wrong?" He asked, getting up and coming to my side. "Nothing's wrong, I promise," I smiled, even though I wanted to say I feel terrible for making you help me.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay," he said. He sounded like he was unconvinced, like I was lying. I wasn't, in a way.

"I'm gonna go. I'll be back tomorrow, like always," he stated, giving me a small wave before leaving. I looked down at the floor, and it was like nothing happened.

***

a/n:: I felt like I was going somewhere with this but then I lost inspiration and kind of made Kirstie an emotional mess??? sorry??

anyways anyone interested in a part 2 or something? lol. ~