Fifteenth Street

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

I stared at the black and white of the night, the black and white of everything. The black and white of my skin, of the street signs. The black and white of the sky, the sidewalk, the lights. It may have been 3 AM at that time, at that precise moment, but I wanted nothing more but to stare at the nothingness of the calm world beneath me. Rarely any cars drove past, most people that did giving me weird looks. I simply smiled as I sat on the grass of a park.

If you haven't caught on, I'm colorblind. Natural birth thing, nothing wrong with it, whatever they want to say; I am colorblind.

I let the black, gray and white take over my sight as I squinted my eyes at a figure that was leaning against the all-too familiar light post. It seemed male, but I could be wrong.

They came closer, and I didn't panic. I felt as if I knew this person for years, that somehow, they wouldn't try to hurt me.

Once he got in my eyesight, he was breathtaking for a man that was only three colors. Dark hair, light skin, a bit of a mix as his eyes... I was in heaven just looking at the stranger.

He sat down beside me and kept a good distance between us. We didn't speak as we both stared into the starless sky. I looked at the street we were on, only to find out it was Fifteenth Street.

"Kirstie," I said after awhile of complete silence.

I didn't glance at him and he didn't look at me. "Avi," he said, his bass voice completely taking me aback. "Colorblind," I said. He slowly looked at me, "I know."

I looked at him, curiosity filling me. He smiled sweetly before looking at the sky. "There's one," he said, pointing to a southern part of it. I looked and slightly smiled as I saw one star in that seemed-to-be-starless sky, its not-so-familiar lightness making my slight smile turn into a full one.

I felt his stare and I looked at him with confusion tracing my features. He seemed to be dazing off as he gazed. I blushed, but I hadn't known what color a blush was.

"You're beautiful when you smile," he said, not a trace of sarcasm or lie in his voice. "You should do it more often."

I smiled again, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks once more. "Thanks," I mumbled, looking back up into the sad-colored sky.

"I don't see the glint in your eyes like I do with everyone I've met," he said quietly, as if he didn't exactly mean for me to hear it. "I noticed the dullness in them. Don't get me wrong, they're absolutely hypnotizing, but the color... it isn't showing what it truly holds. And so, Kirstie, I have come to the possible conclusion you're colorblind or completely unhappy. And I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but colorblind or not, you seem like one of the most cheerful people in the world."

I nodded, since his conclusion was completely accurate. "Good job," I said. "You have gotten me figured out. Now let me with you."

He slowly looked at me, waiting for me to continue, but I didn't look at him or even give a word.

It looked like he rose an eyebrow in the corner of my colorless vision, "Why aren't you talking?" He asked.

I moved my head and let a tiny smile come across my lips.

"Because you're one of the unexplainable people."

Yet another smile crossed his lips, "And you have figured me out. Congratulations."

I stared back up at the sky, noticing more stars clouding it. As they twinkled and shined in that night, all I could think of at that moment was how much we had connected, despite just meeting each other only moments ago.

"You're smiling again," he said, happiness slightly in his voice. He scooted a bit closer and I looked up at him. I looked to his shoulder and back at him quickly, "May I rest my head on your shoulder?" I asked. He nodded, "You may."

I rested my head against him, breathing in his pine-type of scent. I closed my eyes, then opened them again, only to see the darkness becoming darker and darker, until I felt something warm clasp around my hand. It seemed to get lighter. No, I wasn't regaining my color-sight; this isn't some cliché romance novel. I'm not sure what happened, but his touch made my sight get a whole lot brighter and my world a lot more bigger.

"Avi?" I hummed. He traced circles onto my wrist, before zoning back into reality. "Hm?"

"It was getting dark," I said. "But you made everything brighter."

He kissed the top of my head, sending goosebumps and chills down my spine as my heart fluttered. "I'm glad I did."

I looked up at him, smiled, and said, "I'm glad you did, too."

His eyes were half open as he gazed down at me, seeming to be glancing at my lips once or twice. I bit my lower one by instinct and he seemed to grow closer and closer every passing second. I looked down to his own, our lips brushing each other's. I leaned up enough to where they finally touched, and he simply pulled me closer by my waist and kissed back. I latched my arms around his neck, running my fingers through his dark hair. Once we pulled away, though, I looked into his eyes and noticed the faintest amount of anything but gray, black or white. But, sadly, as quick as it appeared, it disappeared within a second. I widened my eyes, backing away after a moment. He gaped, "I'm sorry."

My eyes only became wider, "No!" I whispered. "It's just that... I–I don't know what I saw... but it wasn't black, white or gray."

He widened his eyes slightly, "You saw color."

I scoffed, "That's sort of impossible, you know. I probably just hallucinated it."

He shrugged, coming closer and brushing our lips again. "Let's see if it happens again," he whispered before smashing his lips against mine once more.

***

a/n:: hot damn
hot to ya
somebody call the fireman
hot damn
it's 6 AM
I don't know why i'm up so late
hot damn
hot to ya

{are those even the ltyrics dear fgod goodniht}