Again

a/n:: for kellyptx5's contest

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

I wasn't supposed to see him. Meet him.

I was supposed to be done with that dark haired man. I wasn't supposed to sleep good after seeing him. I was supposed to turn and flip all night. I was supposed to cry when he was in my vision, remembering how he broke my heart, remembering how he used me when all I wanted was some love from somebody for once.

I wasn't supposed to. I wasn't.

And so the moment I saw Avriel Benjamin Kaplan, the man that broke my heart when I was 20 years old, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know why I still thought he was the oppugner of the earth. And even though it was in a coffee shop at the time, and even though he wasn't even there for me, I felt my heart break into a tiny million pieces despite my thoughts on being over the guy that I truly loved three years ago.

Avoiding his eyes, I stared back at my laptop screen and my mocha coffee, trying my best to never encounter those hazel green eyes again, in fear of falling in love again.

Again.

I never wanted to again. I never should again. I never have to again. I can't again.

I hid behind my hoodie, pulling the hood of it over my head, trying to be as invisible as I could be with the dark thing on myself. I looked and focused on what I was suppose to — writing —but I couldn't find myself typing anything useful or magnificent. It's like all inspiration towards my writing was merely on the bearded man in the room, so once I glanced at him once again, he was staring right back at me with a puzzled expression on his overly attractive face. I widened my eyes as he got closer, his eyes clouding with recognition.

I bit my lip as I closed my laptop, afraid of him seeing my feelings on the screen for my readers to read and me to cry over every day, because I truly think that some of the most talented people in the world are the saddest, and I was certainly not going to let him in on my sadness since he was the cause of it, and he should already know that, but he most likely doesn't. And so I threw him a fake smile, "Avi, hi," I greeted politely, not once trying to touch his soft skin.

"Kirstin, wow. Hi," his eyes were invading my soul. [a/n: I laughed while writing that] "It's been awhile."

"It has, it has. What have you been up to for the past three years?" I asked, the false smile still on my face.
"I've been trying out music. Singing, guitar playing, that type of stuff."

"Really," I said astounded. "That's great. Congratulations if you've made it."

"I have, thank you," he said, and then his eyes lingered on mine for three seconds too long, and he spoke once again. "What about you? Did you take up music, too?"

"Actually, no," I stated. "I'm an author."

"An author? Is that why you have a laptop here? I should've known. Oh well. What have you been writing, if anything yet?"

I was about to speak again, but I pursed my lips. "No spoilers!" I joked and, in a way, lied humorlessly.

"Of course. Sorry," he grinned sheepishly, and I felt my heart flutter at the word. Sorry. I've been wanting to hear that word for years from his mouth, and unfortunately he wasn't apologizing for slicing my heart in a million and taking it with him.

"It's fine," I assured.

"Order 23," a woman's voice was heard over the intercom. "That's me," he said. "Take care, Kirstin," he smiled at me, and for once in my life, I couldn't tell if it was a fake or a real one. And so I grinned back, even waving a little at the man that I never wanted to see again. "If only," I mumbled, only to myself as I turned back to my laptop and opened it, the lock-screen appearing.

I wasn't far in the book I've been writing. I haven't been for a year. I've been trying, in a way, to write down my thoughts and my feelings about the previous relationship I had with Avriel Kaplan but in a different sense and way, in a different story that no one would ever tell the difference between Avi and my own's, but as I spilled out everything that I couldn't after not seeing Avi for three years, I felt tears brim up in my eyes, my life slowly becoming the storyline and the characters my own. As I finished the fifth chapter, I typed down nine words that I never wanted to say in my life after seeing Avriel Kaplan again. I never wanted him to be my inspiration of all things, but as I realized the story was mainly about us, I finally let the last nine words flow into the document.

I didn't know my life could change that fast.

***

a/n:: haha there u go kelly. sorry for short one shot! :(