Hey There Delilah

Avi Kaplan's POV

I closed my eyes, my fingers strumming the strings of the guitar as I lost myself in my music. I couldn't focus on who was listening, but I and she knew that the song was for her, even though she couldn't hear it at that moment.

Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City? I'm a thousand miles away, but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do. Times Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true.

I held her hand in mine for the longest time that night. She never let go, I never let go. The electricity shot up my arm as she squeezed my hand a little tighter. "Kirstie?" I said. "Yeah?" She didn't take her eyes off of the sign in front of us. "Promise me when you leave that you won't forget me."

She stopped looking at the sign to replace her gaze on me. She let go of my hand, then turned herself. Her hand came up to my cheek, swiping away the tears I didn't know had fell. "Oh, Avi," she chuckled, some tears of her own falling. "Don't worry. I couldn't forget you, ever. Promise me you won't forget me?"

"Of course I couldn't," I choked back a sob. "You're Kirstin Maldonado."

She simply smiled, and then the intercom shot through. "Flight B39 arriving."

Before I could let her leave, I placed my lips onto hers gently for the last time in years. "I love you, Kirstin," I whispered against her lips. She stared into my eyes, a light appearing in them. "I love you, too, Avriel."

Hey there Delilah, don't you worry about the distance, I'm right here if you get lonely, give this song another listen, close your eyes. Listen to my voice, it's my disguise - I'm by your side.

A sob broke through on the phone. It was nearing two in the morning and it was five there. "Kirstie," I said. "Calm down, baby. Did you listen to the CD?"

"Yes, so many times, Avi. I miss you so much. I-I... I feel so pathetic, God. What is it? Isn't it one there? I must've woken you up-" I stopped her from speaking. "Kirstie, no. You did wake me but this was damn worth it. You can call me anytime - when you're missing me, when you're sad or mad, anytime. Five in the morning, two in the morning, whatever-I don't care. Just call."

"Okay," she sniffled.

"I love you, princess."

"I love you too, Avi."

Oh, it's what you do to me, oh. It's what you do to me. It's what you do to me, what you do to me.

The first time I kissed her was under one of the biggest trees in Los Angeles. We were about 19, and we were young. I never thought of her like that, but when I saw her dating Jeremy, it felt like everything was useless. But then she came to me, her best friend, when they broke up, telling me about how she never really liked him in the first place. And so we took a walk. It may have been almost one at night, but that was when the city was the prettiest, when the lights would block out all of the darkness.

We talked about everything but nothing at the same time under the tree. It covered most of our bodies because the leaves were dragging that low. She kept rambling about huskies while I mentioned how I could start singing. We loved everything about each other and hated nothing about each other. And so when we both stared into each other's hazel green eyes, hers darker and mine lighter, I kissed her. The things the kiss made me feel were indescribable and I wanted to always feel that emotion. I wanted to make sure that she felt it, too, because when I stopped it to stare back at her, her cheeks were rosy from the cold and the kiss and I was dazed. I held her closer to me, sighing heavily, but it wasn't a bad sigh. It was a good one.