Wisdom Teeth

Avi Kaplan's POV

I present to you: high Kirstie.

She just got her wisdom teeth removed, so she is higher than a kite at that moment. She was saying a bunch of stupid things, like how tall giraffes were or how hairless Wyatt was. I smiled at the small things, like when she was confused as I set a glass of water in front of us. "Whasht?" She said, looking at it. "Ish floating."

"Floating?" I asked, amused. She furrowed her eyebrows, "No. Whasht're you talking about?"

"I'm not talking about anything," I insisted. "You just said it was floating. What do you mean?"

"The clear shtuff. It ishn't going anywhere," she frowned. "Where does it gsho?" Her voice was muffling by the gear around her face.

I grabbed the glass, taking a sip and smiled at her as I finished. "In my tummy now."

I felt as if I were an adult to a child at that moment. She seemed even more confused than before, poking it and spilling its contents when it was back onto the table, which made her gasp and her hand fly up to her mouth. "I'm shorry!"

"Kirst, it's okay," I smiled, grabbing the glass from the table and showing it to her. "It isn't broken."

"But it fwell?"

"It's okay. It's just water," I said, noticing she was about to cry. I pursed my lips, going up to her and hugging her, "It's okay," I whispered into her ear and eventually she nodded, "Okay."

I let her go, grabbing the glass again and going to the kitchen to set it down. I returned a moment later, and she was pulling at the couch, mumbling incoherent sentences. She looked to me, grinned, and spoke. "Shere you are!" She exclaimed. "I need to tell you shomething."

"I'm listening," I said, wanting to hear whatever weird sentence she had to say.

"You sh-have to promise not to tell Avi," she said, a lot more coherently than the rest. I nodded curiously as she leaned into my ear. "I like him a lot," she said and busted into a fit of giggles. I blushed crimson red, coughing, and nodded. "I see."

"Yeah, he's super cute," she fawned, to which my blush got deeper. "How?" I asked.

"I dunno. He just shis. 'Specially his eyes! I get lost in them a lot," she smiled and looked down. I nodded again, "Okay. Well, do you wanna know something?" I said, mainly hoping she wouldn't remember this. "Yes!" She exclaimed.

"I think he likes you, too."

She gasped, widening her eyes and grinning. "You do?"

I nodded, "I do."

She just grinned wider, which made me smile. Then her grin slowly faded, it turning into a frown. "I don't think so."

"Why?" I asked, saddened that she thought so.

"He likes other shirls. He looks at them better," she said, sighing. "I bet he shlikes that Gem girl or whatever her shname is."

"Genevieve?" I asked, chuckling. She nodded, "Yesh, that girl!"

"No, he doesn't," I said. "He likes you. A lot."

"Okay, if you inshist," she mumbled, laying down with a sigh. "Hang on, you need to take your pain medication," I said. She nodded, closing her eyes as I got up to get them.

***

As I was watching Criminal Minds, I heard and felt movement so I looked to my right, and there Kirstie was, moving around. "Kirst?" I said. She immediately looked at me, startled, and sighed. "God, you scared me."

I chuckled, "Sorry. But you were pretty high a few hours ago."

"I was?" She blushed. I nodded, "Yeah, you confessed some weird stuff."

"I did?" She said again, her blush deepening. "Yep," I winked and she groaned, "What did I tell you, by accident, I must add?"

"Oh, just that giraffes were tall, Wyatt was hairless, and that you are hopelessly in love with me. You know, the usual."

She widened her eyes, "I told you what?"

"I just told you — giraffes, Wyatt, being in love with me," I smirked.

"Shit," she muttered, making me laugh. "I'm joking. But you did tell me that you liked me," I said, softening a bit. She looked down, fiddling with her hands and nodded. I wanted to do something, but I didn't.

"You feeling okay?" I asked, half changing the subject and half concerned. "Yeah, I'm fine," she replied, getting up and going to her kitchen. "Okay," I said. As she left, I smiled and felt my cheeks warm up. But then my smile fell. What if she remembers what I told her? That'd be so embarrassing.

"Can I take this stuff off my face?" She asked through the door and I yelled back, "Keep it on for a few more hours."

She came back out with water and sat down next to me. "Hey," I smiled at her, which made her cheeks redden again. "Hi."

Her hair was a bit messy, she didn't wear any makeup, and yet I still thought she was the most beautiful person alive. "Your hair's messy," I stated, trying to keep the conversation going. She frowned, subconsciously touched it, and gasped, trying to get up but I stopped her. "No, don't. You look fine, don't worry."

She pursed her lips and nodded, sitting back down but kept her distance. I did the same, figuring she was uncomfortable or something. "We can forget about what you told me, if you want," I said.

"Can we?" She asked hopefully. I nodded, "Sure, but you need to know something first."

She looked at me expectantly, and as she did, I let a smile come onto my face, kissed her nose, and said, "I like you too."

She widened her eyes, clearly surprised. "Oh?"

"Yeah," I said. "Anyways, it's completely forgotten now. No more secret, weird confessions stuck."

She nodded slowly, seeming to be out of it. I ignored her stare as I watched the tv in front of us, and then I felt her moving and in one swift movement, she pecked my lips. "There."

My eyes were widened, in shock, and I wanted that to happen again, but I knew I couldn't do that. I simply smiled in response, continuing to watch the tv in front of us as a random show had been playing the entire time, and even though my focus seemed to be on it, my mind was only on the very short sensation of her lips on mine.

***

a/n:: so I haven't updated defect in like 23 years and this book for like 92 so I'm sorry and forgive me 🌚 ily all. hopefully a new chapter for 'defect' will be up soon. also sorry for the short one shot but I had to end it quickly.