That Silent Boy

a/n: high school Kavi - MENTION of Scömìche

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

I squinted my eyes at the amount of unused textbooks in my locker. Of course, the teachers make us get books but we legit never use them. Whatever.

As I was about to head to lunch, I was stopped abruptly by my best friends: Scott Hoying and Mitch Grassi; or the gay power couple. Inseparable weirdos.

"Hey, guys," I smiled at them, putting away second and first period's books. "Hey, Kirst!" Mitch exclaimed. Scott gave me a simple smile as he didn't talk a lot.

Scott's eyes were glued to something or someone behind me and as I was about to turn around, Scott spoke, "That silent boy is staring at you."

I rose an eyebrow. Silent boy? Who's 'silent boy'?

Mitch recognized my confusion and explained, "He's the boy nobody talks to. His name is something like Ari? Only that smart Kevin guy has talked to him and only that Kevin dude knows his name. None of us know if that's his actual name, but he's staring at you. He's the one with the black hoodie," Mitch said quietly and I nodded, glancing behind me and noticed that there was, indeed, a boy I've never seen before, staring at me until I caught him, looking down to his locker.

I turned around fully once the two left and decided it wouldn't hurt to talk to him. I walked up to him and gave him a small wave, "Hello."

He looked to me, hazel green eyes piercing into my dark green ones. [a/n: yes I think they're dark green/hazel. don't comment about it please]

He looked behind himself and then looked to me, "Why are you talking to me?" He asked once he realized I was talking to him. "Well, why not? You seem interesting and from what I have heard about you, you're not exactly a talker. I want to change that," I explained, a smile tugging at my lips.

He looked me up and down, as if I was joking. He scoffed, "Stay away if you know what's good for you," he said, slamming his locker and walking away, leaving my surprised self.

If he doesn't want to talk, then I won't talk to him.

***

"Kirstie?" Mitch's high voice interrupted my thoughts on the chemistry project. I hummed a 'yes?' as I finished the last touches. "You should come with me to the party tomorrow night at Delia's."

I froze. He knows I'm not a party-type of person, "Why would I do that?"

"Because silent boy will be there. He always is," he smirked. I rose an eyebrow, "Why would I care?"

"You clearly have an interest in him." Scott appeared behind me and I jumped a bit. "I do not! God, I could be lesbian and you two would still pair me with guys!"

Mitch simply shrugged, "That's what best friends do."

I rolled my eyes, "Who says we're best friends?"

Mitch narrowed his eyes playfully, "Queen says so." Scott nodded, agreeing. I forced myself not to smile, "Whatever. I hereby decline all friendship requests coming from you two," I said and Scott rose an eyebrow. "This isn't some video game."

"It is now to her apparently," Mitch muttered jokingly. The bell rang and I widened my eyes. "Go! The lunch line is gonna get long!" I exclaimed, ushering them. We were basically running and luckily, we made it on time. I looked around in the line to see if anyone I knew was in there and to my luck, no.

I mean, I knew them, but it didn't mean I liked them.

I waited in the lunch line and when it was our turn, I smiled at the lunch lady. "Hello, Alice," I exclaimed. She smiled, "Hello, Kirstie," and put mashed potatoes on my plate. Alice was my favorite person here (besides Scott and Mitch) because she was so kind and loving. She fed everyone, including the homeless; she'd go there on weekdays to the homeless shelter. She was an overall amazing woman.

I grabbed my plate and looked around, determined to find 'silent boy' so I could become his friend at least. I looked to my two best friends, "I'll be with you guys later," I said and walked up to silent boy, plopping my tray beside him.

He slowly looked at me, his intoxicating eyes meeting mine. "I was hoping we could try that again," I explained, taking out my hand. "I'm Kirstie."

He looked at my hand warily, "Who's forcing you to do this?"

I gave him a saddened look, "Nobody. I did this freely."

Some guy sat in front of us and I looked to him. He must be Kevin. "Hi," I greeted.

He looked at me with confusion, "What are you doing?"

"Saying hello, what else?" I smiled, my white teeth showing. Silent boy and Kevin shared a look and Kevin nodded. Silent boy sighed, taking my hand and shaking it. "I'm Avi."

He held on a bit too long and we stared at our hands. He let go awkwardly and Kevin rose an eyebrow at him. They had a silent conversation and Avi looked to me, "Kristy," he said.

"Kirstie," I corrected a bit rudely. "Kirstie. Sorry," he said and I urged for him to continue. "I'm not sure why you're talking to me, but if you're in the school newspaper and plan on finding out more about me, I need you to go away right now because nothing will make me talk about myself."

I widened my eyes, "What? No! I just wanted to gain a new friend," I said a bit quieter at the end, locking my hands and staring at them.

I glanced at Avi and his face softened. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume so rudely," he said and did the same as me, but looked at me more. Kevin coughed awkwardly, "Uh, I'm Kevin," he confirmed my suspicions, "And I need to go talk to Avi for a second," he said and grabbed Avi's arm, pulling him to another part of the cafeteria that was desolated.

I watched them talk.

***

Avi Kaplan's POV

"I don't think she is going to be bad as a friend," Kevin explained. I looked at him oddly. "You apologized to her! You might as well just marry!" I hit his arm roughly as a blush clouded my face.

"Just consider making her a friend, okay?" Kevin said and I sighed, nodding.

He smiled, "I think she might like you."

I groaned, "We just met at our lockers, literally!"

"That doesn't mean she can't like you," he retorted. I sighed, pulling him back to the table. "Believe what you want," I said as we sat. Kirstie gave me a questioning look and I just shook it off.

***

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

"So, I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't have done this, right?" I said quietly. Kevin's eyes widened while Avi shook his head furiously, "No! You should've... I'm just not used to this; a person other than Kevin trying to talk to me normally."

I nodded, understanding completely. "Alright," I smiled and we all ate in silence.

***

:::a/n:::

part 2 coming up soon! ((-: