twenty-four: promises

"I... I don't know what to say." Robbie whispers, looking down at Zayn in complete shock. He hadn't been expecting this, in fact this had been one of the last things he'd expected. Zayn didn't come off as the marrying type, but then again Zayn and Robbie never stayed together long enough to even consider marriage.

"A yes or no answer would be nice." Zayn says, biting down on his bottom lip as he looks up at Robbie. Zayn was starting to feel pretty stupid, he should've waited....

"That's the thing... I don't know what to say. Zayn..."

"You don't want to get married?"

"No, I do. I just... Are you sure that this is what you want?" Robbie asks, looking Zayn in the eyes as he does so. Zayn quirks an eyebrow, a little confused as to why Robbie was asking him that.

"I wouldn't be asking you if it wasn't." Zayn says honestly, standing back up at that point.

"What about him, though?" Robbie asks, refusing to say Louis' name. It had been a whole year since Louis had left again, but Zayn still couldn't help but flinch whenever someone said Louis' name out loud.

"What about him? He's not coming back, Robbie. Even if he did, I don't want anything to do with him any longer. I'm done with him, I'm done waiting for him and I'm ready to start my life over again with you by my side. He had his chance and he lost it. I'm not going to fall for his antics again." Zayn says, reassuring both himself and Robbie. Robbie didn't seem to be convinced though, biting his bottom lip softly as he looks away from Zayn for a second. Robbie had been down the road with Zayn before and it always seemed to end the same way.

"That's what you said last time." Robbie finds himself saying, looking back at Zayn again who lets out a sigh. The older of the two runs a hand through his hair, closing his eyes for a minute before nodding.

"I know, but this time is different. I'm over him."

"I don't believe that and you can't get mad at me for saying that. Zayn, if there's one thing I know about you it's that you have a really hard time letting people go." Robbie says quietly, earning a look for Zayn before he shakes his head.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes you do."

"I don't have issues with letting people go. I let him go, I let him leave, I let him break my heart and I let him go." Zayn says, but he still doesn't sound all the convincing. He seemed to be trying to convince himself more than he was Robbie and he knew that shouldn't be the case. It had been a year and he still couldn't say Louis' name without the dull ache in his chest or the tightness of his throat.

"Zayn, you can't even look me in the eye and say that. You can't even say his name, how do you expect me to believe you?"

"If you didn't want to marry me you could've just said no." Zayn says bitterly, folding his arms over his chest as he still refuses to look at Robbie.

"This doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I want to marry you. It's about whether or not you want to marry me. We've been together for what? Two years on and off right? Both times we broke up because of him, because he came back, because you let him back in. What reassurance do I have that it won't happen again? How do I know that you won't break it all off  just because he pretends to give a shit again? You keep saying that it won't happen again, that you know better now... But you knew better the last time and you still let him under your skin. I don't want to see you get hurt and I don't want you to throw me to the curb again just because he smiled at you. You need to decide what you want, Zayn. You need to decide if I'm what you really want or if you're really just settling for the time being."

"This is what I want. You're what I want." Zayn says but the way he refused to look at Robbie wasn't helping. Robbie lets out a sigh, running a hand through his hair before closing his eyes for a moment. A silence falls between them, the kind that neither wanted to break in fear that if they did nothing would be the same again.

"You have to promise me this time, Zayn. You have to promise me that you're not going to let him do this to you or to us again, okay? Can you do that for me?" Robbie finally says and Zayn finally looks at him.

"I promise." Zayn whispers, reaching for Robbie's hand before placing his forehead against Robbie's.

"Are you going to ask me again?"

"Are you going to say yes this time?"

"Why don't you ask me and find out." Robbie retorts, smiling softly as Zayn chuckles.

"Will you marry me Robbie?" Zayn whispers, leaning in close enough to where their lips were nearly touching. Robbie grins at that, wrapping his arms around Zayn's neck before nodding.

"Yeah, I will."

-------------------------------------

Happy new year everyone!

Hopefully everyone had a great night/day and I hope this year will be a great one hahah.

So yeah.

QOTC: do you guys think that Zayn meant what he promised Robbie?

Comment

And

Vote

Connie xx