Chapter 1

Present day

"Ava, you've texted me about thousand times now, yes, I am going to Bridget's party tonight... okay, love you too. Bye." Hanging up I throw my phone onto my bed and drape my arm across my face. Ava is my best friend. My very annoying best friend, but I love her.

As I slump off my bed, in a very un-lady-like manner, I manage to stand on my two feet and head towards my ensuit. Staring into the mirror at my slim frame I study my awkward face. My wavy, unruly hair sticks out in all sorts of directions.

My hazel eyes look dull and tired, just as I'm feeling on the inside. Much like my dad's-- as weird as this sounds-- my eyes change colour depending on my mood.

I personally find it very cool and sometimes, a little part of me wonders if I could be an undiscovered superhero.

But like I said, just a little part.

Scrutinizing my wild hair and flushed face, I decide it's probably best to take a shower before the party at seven. I have exactly two hours to get ready.

*

Stumbling out of the bathroom and back into my bedroom I notice my phone is flashing. Five new messages from Ava, why am I not surprised? I open the first one.

You better not be late!

The next one read: OMG I found the perfect outfit!!

Why are you not answering me?!

ALISON ROSE VINCENT, PICK UP YOUR PHONE!

And finally:Where are you?

Just as I had finished reading the last text, there's a sharp knock at my door. Not even bothering to wait for a reply, someone comes barging in.

"Ali, why didn't you answer my texts? I was getting worried about you." Ava speaks in a clipped but relieved tone as she scans me from head to toe.

Her blond curls cascade and jump down her back as she shifts around my bedroom. Ava's blue eyes pop in contrast to her baby blue skater dress and heels to match. Her puckered lips are covered in a pink lip gloss.

"I was in the shower," I shrug.

"I can see that," she rolls her eyes. "You better get ready quick Ali, I don't want to be late." And just like that she was out the door.

I scurry over to my walk-in closet and look for an outfit. I'm not as girly and stylish as Ava but I still like to look my best. As I rake through my clothes, I pick out a pale pink, knee-length dress. I quickly slip it on and wear my nude heels to match.

I head back into my spacy bedroom and sit down at my dresser. I choose to dry my hair first. After taming it down with a brush I decide to just leave it naturally wavy to avoid getting shouted at by Ava for taking too long.

Just as I take one last pout in the mirror, Ava flings open the door and stares icily straight in my direction giving me her hurry-the-hell-up look.

"You're lucky you were ready just in time." She mutters, grabbing me by the hand and dragging me all the way downstairs as if I'm incapable of doing so myself. This is her typical mom behaviour.

We make our way down the extravagant, marble staircase and down onto the first floor. When it comes to our home my mom really does go all out to impress our visitors.

She is a very elegant, charming and extremely beautiful woman in my opinion. She has short, golden blond hair and mysterious brown eyes. She is average height and slim like me.