Chapter 17

(Ali's P.O.V)

The sound of tumbling rocks, crunching leaves and heavy footsteps is enough to bring me back to reality. My eyelids lazily slide open and as I bounce up and down, I realise that I'm being carried.

What in the name of sweet potatoes.

As footsteps stomp out of the woods, I catch my first glimpse of civilisation and find myself fully awake. Muscular, strong arms embrace me and I realise that they're Dylan's arms.

Holy pumpkin teeth, I'm being carried by Dylan Scott.

Suddenly I'm reminded of a similar situation that I was in back at the beach. I hadn't really been aware of what was going on then because I'd only recently come back unconscious after being brutally knocked out by a monstrous wave of disgusting sea water. One can only imagine the amount of fishes that must have done their business in the water that I was forcefully made to swallow.

Let's all just take a minute of silence for the dignity I lost when this all took place.

My mind is brought back to reality when I feel a warm, minty breath on my neck and I am met by the most captivating shade of chocolate brown eyes.

The shimmer of the faint moonlight allows me to have a better view of the beautiful person that I can proudly call my boyfriend. His unruly, lustrous light brown hair flops gloriously over his forehead, lightly scraping his long, dark lashes, his locks displaying a sheen like fine hardwood. Although that comparison isn't entirely fair, I suppose. Hardwood doesn't swish gently like his hair does,  bouncing mercilessly in synchronisation with each step he takes.

His eyes suddenly dart to me and I am caught staring a him. I feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as I flush crimson, smiling guiltily at him. Why am I so embarrassed? I'm allowed to admire what beauty the world has to offer aren't I? Besides, he is my boyfriend after all.

"You're awake," he gives me a shy smile and my heart melts inside my chest. Oh how I love his bedazzling smile.

"So it seems," I answer lazily, looking awkwardly at our surroundings. Is he going to put me down now or...?

However much I love being in his arms, I can't help but feel sorry for him having to carry all this weight. As if having heard my thoughts, Dylan opens his car door and sets me gently on the leather seat. My body is embraced by a cold breeze and I instantly miss the warmth that Dylan's body radiated.

He slides gracefully into the driver's seat and turns the key, making the engine roar to life. Dylan looks at me expectantly and I shoot back a confused look.

He pauses and lets out a humorous sigh, leaning over towards me. My breath instantly hitches in my throat when I think he's about to kiss me. A jab of disappointment stabs into me when I realise that kissing me is not what he had in mind. Dylan reaches for something behind me and only when I hear a click do I realise that he just put on my seat belt for me.

Oh, that.

"It's better to be safe than sorry." he states lamely and I roll my eyes at him.

"How long was I asleep?" I ask, looking out into the nightlife. The streets are deserted with only a few cars here and there. The only light comes from the dim lampposts and the radiating moon.

"If you call snoring loudly, drooling all over my chest and subconsciously confessing your undying love for me sleeping, then quite a while." he chuckles and my face instantly turns from golden tan to pale white as I fall into a pit of shame and embarrassment.

Did I actually say I loved him in my sleep? Oh my God, why couldn't he have told me this when we were back at the cliff? At least then I could have jumped off to spare myself the pain of humiliation.