Chapter 7

(Ali's P.O.V)

Sitting in history, my last lesson of the day, I decide that I'm breaking up with Dereck at the end of school. I can't keep pretending that I don't like Dylan because honestly, I do. I really do.

What can I say to Dereck though? Maybe pretend I'm an undercover agent and say it wouldn't be safe for him? Yeah, because that's so believable, Ali - note the sarcasm.

Okay, how about I just tell him the truth? Tell him I like someone else? Honesty is always the best policy, right? Yes, I'm going to tell him the truth. If not for me, then I'll do it for Dylan.

*

After class was over I reluctantly make my way over to Dereck's locker. I have to be quick because Dylan said he's giving me a ride home. He's probably waiting for me outside because he knows what I'm about to do; I told him it would be best if he waited at a safe distance.

Approaching Dereck's locker, I see that he's speaking to some of his football friends. Jake and Alex are there too and a few other guys whose names I do not know. Okay, maybe this isn't the best time, I'll just turn around and tiptoe my way back to Dylan, hoping Dereck doesn't notice me.

"Ali," I hear him shout. Crap. Okay, okay, compose yourself Alison. This is it, this is where you tell him that you don't think you should be together anymore.

I turn around slowly and notice Dereck is already behind me. I look back at Jake and he gives me a nod of acknowledgement and then a cheeky smirk, Alex just stands there and smiles nervously.

Jake Zabinski is the kind of typical high school man-whore you see in movies. He's got the money, he's got the looks and he's always got a girl. Jake Zabinski, Alex Chandler, Elliot Waters and now Dylan are like royalty - if you will - at NAHS.

Everywhere they go they have girls swooning at their feet, only they don't really acknowledge most of them which makes the foolish girls want them even more... I know right?

Alex and Elliot are more like the softies of the group. They're both rich and super attractive, only, unlike Jake, they actually care about girls' feelings.

"Ali," Dereck snaps, bringing me back to reality, "Where were you at lunch?" he asks once again.

Jeeze, why do all the men in my life have to be so protective over me? I can take care of myself.

"Um, homework," I lie. He cocks his head to the side and arches a brow as if expecting me to tell him the truth. I close my eyes and sigh, here goes nothing.

"Dereck, I don't think we should see each other anymore," I mutter softly, trying to let him down easy. I look deep into his eyes and notice his expression change, his grey eyes darken like there is a storm brewing inside them. Double crap. He runs his hand through his thick brown hair and stares at me intently.

"Why?" he asks me.

"I just don't think we're right for each other," I answer, not being able to look at him now. Instead, I keep my gaze focused on my intertwined hands which have all of a sudden become abnormally interesting. I can't bring myself to look at his face.

"You found someone else didn't you?" he asks me. Without being able to speak I give him a sheepish nod. Bringing myself to finally look at his face, I notice his jaw tighten.

"Who is it?" he asks, now angrily. "It's that son of a bitch isn't it? Ethan Chase?"

I stand still, not even being able to nod anymore but he's already established that he's right. Suddenly he starts marching his way down the long corridor, heading towards the outside of the school, where Dylan is probably waiting for me. Triple crap.