Chapter 16

(Ali's P.O.V)

As I pull back for air from our lust-filled kiss, my knees instantly become weak and if it wasn't for Dylan's arms firmly wrapped around my waist, I would have pooled at his feet immediately.

"You were right," Dylan whispers, his voice husky.

"About what?" I question in confusion, tilting my head back to look into his eyes.

"You are a great dancer," he smiles and so do I as he pecks my nose with his slightly swollen lips. Glancing at the night sky, I notice anew how brightly the stars are shining.

"They're so pretty," I gape in awe, keeping my gaze locked on the glittering diamonds that are dispersed throughout the dark blue canvas.

"Come here," Dylan tugs at my hand, leading me to a slightly smoother surface on the ground. He places himself on the floor and pulls me down with him, I let out a little shriek as I fall.

"Don't worry, I've got you." he smiles and hugs me tight.

Gracefully, he lays his back on the ground and rests his head on his right arm, extending his left one across the surface. I lie down beside him, positioning my head comfortably on his chest as his extended arm curls around my waist.

Laying like this with Dylan, watching the stars, it feels so much like I'm in a cliché movie of some sort. But truth is, I couldn't care less. It feels amazing being here with him, having him look at me like I'm the most important person in the world. There is just something about him, I don't know what it is but it leaves me wanting more every time.

Unfortunately, I don't know why exactly, but deep in my gut I have this strange feeling. It's as if I know something bad will happen. I try to push it to the back of my mind but it keeps dragging itself back. Am I going crazy?

"What are you thinking?" Dylan questions, bringing his left arm up and intertwining our fingers.

His hand moulds perfectly into mine, as if they were made for each other. He lightly grazes his thumb across my knuckles, brushing them gently.

"How did you know I was thinking about something?" I ask, looking up to meet his bewildering brown eyes. Is he always going to have this effect on me? Is he always going to make my insides melt just through a simple look?

"You're quiet," he replies, tightening his arm around me.

An unexpected shiver runs throughout my body and I nuzzle my head into his chest, smelling his sweet and musky cologne. After a while, a thought pops into my head. I better ask him about this now and get it out of the way already.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Hmm," he nods, breaking his gaze from the stars to look at me. I shift a little, laying on my side and reluctantly remove my head from his chest to allow myself to face him.

"What's the deal with you and Jason?" I question, chewing on the inside of my mouth nervously as I await his answer.

Will he tell me? Or will he just brush it off? I know I shouldn't push him but I just really want to know.

His jaw tightens and I notice him becoming uncomfortable with my question. Uh-oh, maybe this wasn't the right time to ask him. He stays quiet for a short period of time before opening his mouth to answer me.

"What do you mean?" Really? He's seriously going to play dumb with me? I give him a disbelieving look and he closes his eyes, fully aware that I didn't buy his oblivious façade. He hesitates a little, opening his mouth to say something but then closing it once more.