Chapter 13

(Ali's P.O.V)

As Dylan looks lost in a world of his own I start to get worried. He said we needed to talk which got my heart leaping out of its place. I hate it when people say that.

It's normally just before they say "I wanna break up" or "you're in deep trouble" or something akin to that. I can't help but think that Dylan will do the same. You know when your parents want to sit you down for a talk or you teacher calls you into his office? Yeah, that's how I feel.

For some strange reason my heart is beating faster than usual. Maybe it's because I'm so close to Dylan and it's a natural thing to get nervous. Or maybe it's because deep down, I know what he's about to say is serious. I just hope it isn't bad news.

Maybe he wants to tell me that he's had enough of me and doesn't want me around anymore? I hope that's not it because it would completely crush me. I don't ever want to have to face the pain of losing him again, especially since I've a first hand experience of how it feels.

And then there's that little optimistic part of me that hopes he will ask me to be his girlfriend. I know it's crazy of me since he probably only thinks of me as a best friend but I can't help but wonder what it would be like.

I mean, he's admitted to liking me but does it go as far as love? Would Dylan ever be able to love me as more than just a friend?

Of course not, you're really weird. My subconscious tell me.

No I'm not, I can be... normal.

Oh really? Is that why you talk to yourself?

Yeah, I have a point there. Well then, what could he possibly want to tell me?

Maybe he wants to get rid of you.

Shut up!

"Huh?" Dylan asks looking worried, which brings me out of my trance.

"What?" I ask, looking even more confused than the boy sitting beside me.

"Did you just tell me to shut up?" he asks, looking slightly amused.

"What? No," I blurt nervously. I have got to stop having inner battles with myself. It's not healthy and it's just plain weird. 

"What did you want to tell me anyway? You know I don't handle curiosity very well." I speak up again as an attempt to change subject. Ok Ali breathe, I'm sure that what he's about to say isn't a bad thing. He wouldn't ever hurt me right? Well, at least not intentionally. In all our years of friendship, never once has Dylan hurt me.

Ok, so maybe there was that time when he accidentaly kicked a football at my head. But like I said, it was an accident. Ever since we became friends he's always looked out for me. Even when Jason pulled his stupid pranks on me, Dylan was always there. Whether it was wiping the paint off my clothes or cutting chewing gum out of my hair.

My parents never had the time to do any of that for me, the only people who were truly there were Dylan and Gammy. And that's why I'm so thankful for them. That's why I can't ever lose Dylan, he's everything to me.

I really am curious though to find out what he wants to tell me. He seems so nervous and uncomfortable and that's just not like his cool and collected self. I hear him nervously chuckling beside me which makes me feel giddy inside, I love making him smile.

"Right, um... I want.." he pauses for a bit. Right, this is where he says 'I want you to get away from me you weirdo.'

However, what he really said, completely took me by surprise. But in a very very good way.