Chapter 37

Recap: Ava approaches me, taking her sweet time like a predator going for its prey. Judging by her expression, she is not a happy bunny right now, if anything, she's completely the opposite.

"Well, Alison Rose Vincent, I think you have a little explaining to do."

There are a few things you should know about Ava. When she has a hand placed on her hip, you know it's bad. When she uses your full name, it's worse. But a situtation that you should wish to never find yourself in, is a situation where she does both. Which oh-so luckily for Alison Rose Vincent, is right now. I gulp.

Wish me luck.

(Ali's P.O.V)

It's been fourty minutes. Fourty whole minutes of me sitting here, pretending to listen to Ava's lecture about how I should tell her everything since we're best friends. About how she feels like I'm always in a different world and yada yada yada.

She's currently getting through the story of how she got stuck with Dan Druff (yes, that is his real name. Unfortunate, but legit) as a lab partner. Then she went on to complain about Daniel's name and criticized his parents for I quote, 'setting him up for the worst from birth'. 

"I mean, does he even have a middle name that could balance it out? What kind of name even is that anyway? But... that's beside the point. I can't believe you didn't tell me all of this, I tell you everything. Everything! I even told you about Elliot's fetish for--" I zone out yet again, nodding every few seconds to make it look like I'm listening. Glancing up at the wall, I start to pick out patterns on the wallpaper and notice how some of them are shaped like animals.

The one in the corner sort of looks like a giraffe if you squint and look closely enough.

Of all inappropriate moments, my brain chooses this one to bring back images of a video I once saw of a cartoon three-legged giraffe attempting to run. My mouth quirks up ever so slightly and I have to try my hardest not to burst out laughing, but my twitchy lip isn't really hiding that.

"I'm glad you find this amusing, Alison." She says sarcastically, snapping me out of my trance and making me focus on her less than amused face. "You're lucky I've said eveything I had to say already," already? It's been nearly an hour! "I hope you've taken on board some of the things I talked about."

"Oh I did, absolutely. I was completely inspired by your words of wisdom." I nod to emphasise my point, Ava not really picking up on the hint of sarcasm behind my voice.

"Well I'm glad, now we can go back to being best friends again." She wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me in for a hug, releasing me once we hear someone coming down the stairs.

"Hello ladies," Jake waltzes in, closely followed by Alex.

"Oh good, you two made up. I was beginning to think I'd never hear the end of Ava's ranting. I tell you, I nearly resulted to either chopping my own ears off or throwing her out of the plane." Alex complains whilst Ava just scowls in return, earning a chuckle from Jake.

"Assholes," she mutters under her breath and I pat her on the back reassuringly.

"Right, who's ready for some fun in the sun? I know I am!" Jake exclaims, stripping himself of his shirt and scattering it carelessly onto the ground. He then proceeds to rid himself of his shorts, revealing a not so flattering or well fitting red speedo.

"Dude, no." Alex places both his hands in front of his face, attemtping to block out the sight to behold that is Jake Zabinski. I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry as my innocent eyes become corrupt thanks to this image that will be forever etched in the darkest pits of my mind.