Chapter 20

(Ali's P.O.V)

Dereck strides down the hallway with his arm wrapped around none other than Tiffany Walker, honestly, I wouldn't expect any less of him-- or her. As soon as he catches me looking at him, his eyes darken and narrow when he shifts his gaze to Dylan.

Dereck quickly pulls Tiffany's skeletal body closer to his and with the blink of an eye, his lips smash onto hers. He doesn't close his eyes at first, instead he looks at me, as if to make sure I'm looking. Is he trying to make me jealous?

"Hey, Ethan!" Both Dylan and I turn to be faced with one of the guys from the football team. What was his name again, Colton, Carter? I can't really remember. He saunters towards Dylan and I, finally coming to a halt as he reaches my locker. Beside him are two other boys whose names I also don't know. I really should learn to socialise more.

"What's up Chase," Oh, so that was his name.

His green eyes scrutinise me closely before giving me a cheesy wink and grin. Dylan notices this and I feel his body stiffen as he steps in front of me, though he doesn't say anything to Chase. 

"Um.." Chase's deep voice speaks but just as soon it falters, as if he's too embarrassed to say anything else. He scratches the back of his head and clears his throat before he speaks again, "there are some rumours going round about you, dude, haven't you heard?" 

Rumours? What rumours? Chase instantly has my utmost attention as my curiosity is piqued by this news. I haven't heard any rumours, and judging by Dylan's furrowed brows and sudden change of stance, I know he's just as oblivious yet inquiring as I am.

"What rumours?" Dylan's voice is barely audible, coming out in a cautious tone. He seems worried. In an attempt to calm him, I take hold of his hand and squeeze reassuringly.

"Well, people around school have been saying that you're lying to us about your true identity," Chase nervously clears his throat again and the two boys next to him look awkward, trying to focus on anything but Dylan. Next to me, I notice Dylan's jaw tighten as his breathing rate increases.

What is he going to say? How did people even find out? I'm the only one that knows about this, aren't I?

Oh no. What if Dylan thinks I told someone? I would never do that to him. After he explained to me everything him and his family went through, telling someone would be the last thing I did. 

"Students, move along please, class has already started." Principal Bridgewaters' voice comes out in an authoritative manner and we all know better than to disobey him. Chase and his two friends walk the opposite way and before I know it, Dylan is marching off in a different direction. Shit.

He thinks it was me. He thinks I was the one that told someone, I mean, why else would he be storming off like this?

I quickly trail behind him, following his steps before reaching him right outside of class. As he attempts to open the door, I take hold of his hand and step in front of him, forcing Dylan to look at me. As I gaze up at him, his face seems emotionless, his eyes cold and distant. Holy crap.

"Dylan, you think this was me? You think I told someone?" I ask him incredulously, my brows furrowing as my eyes radiate the hurt and offence that I'm feeling. He can't be mad at me for something I didn't do, does he not trust me at all?

"You were the only one I told." His voice comes out hoarse, almost in a raspy whisper.

"I wouldn't do that to you, don't you trust me at all?" I lower my voice, fighting to hold back the tears that are itching to escape.