Chapter 2

Beep! beep! beep!

And here it was. The torturous sound of the weapon of mass destruction, rudely awakening me from my peaceful slumber.

I groan loudly, reaching out to hit the snooze button on my demonic alarm clock. If you can't already tell, I'm really not a morning person.

I clamber out of bed and drag myself over to my bathroom. Examining my sleepy, dull face; I roll my eyes and let out a sigh. With my eyes half open I decide to take a quick shower as an attempt to fully wake myself up.

After brushing my teeth I saunter over to my closet and grab the clothes Ava had previously picked out for me. Slipping on my undewear and dress, I wedge in my new shoes and head over to my dresser to dry my hair.

Just as I had finished straightening my hair and applying a final hint of makeup there was a soft knock at my door. I glanced over to it as it opened and Edita walks in.

"Good morning honey," she smiles warmly at me "I just came in to check that you're awake. I'm aware of the daily battles you used to have to get out of bed."

I let out a soft chuckle. "Breakfast is waiting for you downstairs. Hurry before it gets cold."

"Thank you," was all I could manage to say, so I smiled at her as she left.

After eating my pancakes I look at the time and hurriedly grab my keys and set for the door. A few minutes later I arrive at Ava's house, it's precisely 7:50am when I see her stepping out of her house and into my car.

"Smooth," she says as she makes herself comfortable.

"Huh?" I ask, confused.

"The time," she says "you got here at exactly 7:50."

I smile and reply "William Shakespeare once said; 'better three hours early than one minute late.'"

She rolls her eyes and smiles at me as I turn on the car engine and speed off into my first day back as an official senior at NAHS.

*

Once we step out of my car, Ava glances over at some guys from the swim team then whispers to herself, "This is gonna be a good year." I roll my eyes and she blushes when she realises I'd heard her.

"Are you ready to face a whole other year of craziness?" I smirk.

"Always," she answers as we enter the school building.

As soon as we step in, I hear a loud wolf whistle from behind us. I turn around to see who it was and recognise the person instantly. How could I forget cheesy, I'm-drunken-in-love-with-you guy? He gives me a huge grin and casually strolls towards me.

"Hey baby," he says as he leans on the locker, trying to act cool.

I give him my are-you-freaking-kidding-me look and just as I open my mouth to speak, Elliot steps in, once again. He gives the guy a death glare making him back off immediately.

Oh the advantages of being on the football team.

"You didn't have to do that, Elliot." I smile sheepishly. He seriously doesn't need to always be looking out for me, I kind of feel bad for not being able to do anything in return.

He smirks and speaks nonchalantly, "Any friend of Ava's is a friend of mine."

At the mention of her name, Ava almost immediately turns around to stare at Elliot and me. As soon they make eye contact his face instantly lights up, masked in a face splitting smile.

"Ava, um.. hello.. you look beautiful today.. not that you don't always look beautiful... um... your hair.. it reminds me of my dog." Wow, this is going well.