Chapter 29

Chapter 29. Hope you guys like it :)

(Ali's P.O.V)

True love. That's the first thing that comes to mind as I look at the embraced couple in front of me. Watching them together, it's as much proof as you'll need to know that what they have is real.

As I stood in the corner of the room, trying not to get in the way, I watched cusses being thrown around, tears being spilled, hearts being both broken and mended. But finally, after all these complications and drama, Ava and Elliot are finally on the same page.

They've had their arms wrapped around each other, sobbing, for the past ten minutes now. I'm starting to feel somewhat awkward. Should I say something? Should I leave? Or should I stand here like a vegetated weirdo, watching the couple go about their business?

"Uh, are you guys okay?" I finally break the lingering silence with stupidest question of the century. Of course they're not okay, look at them!

The two finally break apart and look at me, Ava chuckles humourlessly, her eyes boltchy and red from all the crying, I presume.

"I guess not then," I mutter awkwardly, another failed attempt to brighten the mood. Just digging a deeper hole, Ali. Deeper hole.

"Ok, stupid question, but instead of leaving; couldn't you stay with your dad?" I aim my question towards Elliot and in Ava's eyes, I spot a hopeful glint that hasn't been present ever since the split. She turns to Elliot, all eyes on him as he heaves a heavy sigh.

"My father and I aren't on the best of terms right now," he states. "Plus, I can't just leave my mom alone with my little sister. Sure she'll have family to help her once we get to England, but I can't just abandon them." He shakes his head.

A few minutes of silence goes by, Ava looking more and more pessimistic by the second; so unlike her. I can't help but feel down about this, things are going to be so much worse for her once he leaves.

"When are you leaving?" Ava whispers, I can tell a knot has formed itself inside her throat.

"In a weeks time," Elliot answers. "My mom and sister have already left, I just couldn't pluck up the courage to leave without explaining myself to you." He states and Ava's eyes start to well up anew. Oh boy.

*

After deciding my help wasn't needed any longer, I leave Ava and Elliot to patch things up by themselves and set off to get myself ready for my date with Dylan tonight.

He had called me earlier to explain that he was taking me out and that I should wear something warm and comfortable-- I wonder where exactly it is we're going but as always, Dylan refused to tell me.

This is normally the point in time where I'd ask Ava to help me pick out an outfit, do my makeup and such and such. Except today she's busy with Elliot, so only now that I don't have my best friend do I realise how completely clueless I am.

This being said, I choose to go to the next best person that could potentially be of some help.

"Hi uh, it's Ali. I was wondering if you'd like to hang out." I mutter awkwardly, awaiting her much anticipated answer.

After agreeing, I explain to Marley where exactly it is that I live-- she should be over any minute now.

I know how scary it can get being the new girl, how it is to not have any friends at school and feel like you're not good enough for anyone. After Dylan, Ava was the only person that managed to bring me out of my shell, hence the fact I don't really have many close friends.