Chapter 10

(Ali's P.O.V)

I just sat there, completely bemused and dumbfounded. Dylan like-likes me? As in, more than just a friend?

"Ali it's okay, I don't expect you to say it back, I just needed you to know," Dylan reassures me.

I look deep into his inviting brown eyes and I suddenly feel a pang of warmth inside me, how does he do that? He has just told me how he feels but I don't know how to react. What do I do?

"Dylan, I-" I stutter, not being able to articulate a coherent sentence and before I am given the chance to do so, Edita magically appears at my door.

"Ali darling, your mom is on the phone," she says in her sweet voice. I lazily get up and drag my body towards Edita, taking the phone from her hands.

"Mom?" I ask doubtfully.

"Ali honey, how are you?" My mother asks, in an unusually cheery tone. Why is she calling? She never calls when she's on a business trip with dad. Something is up.

"Um, I'm fine. What's up mom?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"Sweetheart," she pauses, "your father and I have decided to stay here in London for a bit longer so I'm afraid we won't be home tomorrow."

And there it was, the reason she'd called.

My mom and dad aren't exactly the most caring parents in the world. I'll put it this way, if they had to pick between their career and me, I'd pretty much end up an orphan. But I'm used to it I guess, you get what you're given.

"Well... okay," I answer, showing no emotion.

"I've spoken to Mrs. Arwin and you'll be staying there for the time being which will give Edita the time to go see her family back in Alaska," she explains.

Why has she taken the time to actually find me somewhere to stay? I'm sure I could just stay at home, it's no biggie.

"Okay, mom," I answer dryly.

There is an awkward pause, just long enough for me to worry that the line has gone dead but it hasn't.

"Take care of yourself ok?" my mom says in a softer voice than usual. Is she actually concerned for my wellbeing?

"Um, you too," I answer, kind of hesitantly. This isn't like her. I'm not really sure how I should react to her uncommon display of affection, but something tells me there's more to it.

Somehow I think that's the last I'm going to hear from her. Somehow I think that they might just not come back for me; that's why she called.

And soon enough, the line goes dead.

I hang up and the expression on my face makes it evident that I'm hurt. Hurt that my parents would abandon me, my own freaking parents.

That's why they went now, because my birthday is next month and I'll be eighteen soon, meaning I'm legally allowed to move out.

Was this their plan all along?

Edita gives me an apprehensive look and squeezes my hand. She knows what just happened. She knows they're not coming back for me.

"Ali what's wrong? What did your mom say?" I hear Dylan's deep voice call from behind me. I turn to look at him with a blank expression, how do I tell someone that my own parents have left me?

"My parents," I whisper. He abruptly stands up and within a second is by my side. He smiles politely at Edita as if to say 'I've got this' and she leaves the room without another word.