Chapter 26

(Ali' P.O.V)

He's pacing back and forth as I walk into the eerily silent home; the only sound is coming from Dylan's continuous footsteps.

As I shut the front door, he stops dead in his tracks and turns to face me. His hair is dishevelled, like he's been relentlessly running his hand through it. His face is impassive as always, making him impossible to read. Damn it, Scott.

After a few seconds of silence and being scrutinised by Dylan; alas, he speaks.

"Where were you?" He chokes out, his voice is quiet and rough.

"I-I" I stutter. Do I tell him?

"Why didn't you answer my calls?" He fires another question but I'm still too stunned to speak. Is he angry with me?

Dylan approaches me, he strokes my cheek lightly and his eyes are his shortcoming as I stare deeply into his chocolate orbs. He's stressed about something.

"I've been so worried," he whispers, making me feel guilty about not telling him where I was going. But it wasn't my fault I forgot my phone! "So I'm going to ask you again," his hand slides from my cheek and down to his side, his emotions stifled behind his now sober demeanor. "Where were you?"

"I was out," I mutter, trying not to give too much away. Does he already know? Man, this is killing me.

"Out, huh? With whom, may I ask?" His tone is now sharp and slightly mocking. He knows.

"W-with Dereck." I whisper, feeling like an errant child. So much for standing my ground.

Why is he being like this anyway? It's only Dereck.

"May I ask why you didn't inform me? Or rather, why you didn't answer my numerous calls and texts?  Or were you too busy, 'being out with Dereck?'" He uses finger quotations for the last part, his tone is cold and I don't like it one bit.

"I left my phone at home, I'm sorry." I apologise, trying not to get mad at him for treating me like a child. I'm pretty sure I can look after myself, Dylan.

"Oh you're sorry, are you? So if something happened to you, and I had no idea where to find you, you'd be sorry?" He raises his voice a tad on the last word as he slams his fist onto the island countertop.

"Dylan I was with Dereck, nothing was going to happen." I try to reason.

"Didn't I specifically tell you to stay away from Dereck? Did I not make it clear that I want you nowhere near him? Or does what I say mean nothing to you?" He reprimands, stalking towards my direction.

"Oh, so you get to boss me around now? You can't stop me from being friends with other people, Dylan, that's psychotic. I should be able to do whatever I want, especially now that my freaking parents have abandoned me!" I shout, breathing heavily at my outburst.

"Dereck and I are just friends, nothing more than that. I just wanted to see him to-" I pause, not wanting to tell Dylan the real reason. He'd probably have my head on a stick if he found out I was snooping. "To catch up." I finish.

"To... catch up?" He tests my words, looking slightly hurt. I frown and bite my lip, resisting the urge to tell him the actual reason. I know it's wrong to lie to my boyfriend, and I know we made a pact but this is for his own good.

"Ali," Dylan breathes, stepping forward so his forehead touches mine, "you've got to learn that I don't share. I look after what is mine and for that reason I need you safe, away from harm."

"But I'm ok," I reassure him, looking into his pained, sandy brown eyes.

"Yes but I didn't know that, I had no idea where you were, Ali. Last I heard from you it was lunch time and next thing I know you don't answer any of my calls. You know, I had to call Ava and hound her to tell me where you were." He pauses for a second.