Chapter 21

(Dylan's P.O.V)

After Ali and I came back down from the roof, the only thought that has gone through my head is a replay of the events that happened.

I love you, Dylan Scott.

Ali's words echo through my mind again and again, my name sounding like a prayer coming from her lips. I'm honestly surprised I even had the guts to admit my feelings to her. Never had I told a girl I loved her before, apart from Lulu, Gammy and my mom of course, but they don't count.

Thinking about Ali all day has also put my mind at ease, it's been distracting me from all the looks I've been getting from people around school.

Now that my secret is out, everyone in the school knows that my name isn't really Ethan. Of course, to them I'm probably just some creep with some sort of identity issue, but they still know. As I manoeuvre past a group of giggling sophomore girls, I head to the cafeteria and over to my usual table. All of the guys are already sat down and as usual, my seat is left untouched.

"What up guys," I greet everyone at the table, throwing my bag onto a chair whilst  some of the girls eye me suspiciously, scrutinising my every move.

"Uh Ethan, I mean,  Dylan, whatever your name is. I'm sorry but you can't sit there," one of the girls splutters, her nasal voice a very unwelcome sound to my ears. 

"What the fuck are you on about April, of course he can sit there," Jake scolds her, accidentally spitting out some of his hamburger as he does so.

"Why, so he can lie to us about even more stuff? I bet he isn't even eighteen," she quips, looking me hungrily up and down. The two girls sitting beside her just stare at her dumbfounded, just like the rest of the girls on the table. Why is it always the girls?

"Whatever he's still hot," another girl whose name I don't know speaks up, winking at me with her mascara-smothered eyelashes. How long has she sat on this table for?

"Dude just sit the fuck down," Alex interrupts, tugging at my hand so I fall onto my seat. 

"Look, guys" I sigh, "you don't understand," I shake my head, having had enough of people getting the wrong impression of me. All day I've been having to deal with people staring at me as if I've grown another head. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but the rumours that are going round are just plain ridiculous. I think it's time I put all this bullshit to rest, I mean, my cover has already been blown anyway. What do I have to lose?

"What don't we understand? That you're just some fucked up creep that has been lying to all of his friends?" This time the voice is deeper, a voice I'd rather hear coming from the depths of hell; Dereck Johnson.

"Dude chill, you don't even know his motives for doing what he did. None of us do. So before all you assholes can begin judging him for all this bullshit, how about you let him have a say first?" Elliot finally speaks up, his hands now turned into fists and right now I couldn't be happier about having him as a friend.

Everyone around the table stays silent. Wait, no, that's an understatement. As I look around, I realise that Elliot's outburst got the attention of the whole of the cafeteria, a countless amount of eyes and ears are now solely focused on me. I guess this is my chance to clear things up, I take a deep breath and begin to speak.

"I don't have to repeat it for all of you to know what this is about. No, my real name isn't Ethan Chase." My eyes scan the cafeteria and finally land on the person I was looking for, she's staring at me wide-eyed, listening intently to my words. A few gasps float around the thick atmosphere, no doubt the ones who had yet to find out my secret.