Chapter 24

(Ali's P.O.V)

Exactly nine minutes after my phone call with Dylan there is a distinguishable knock on the door. Four consecutive knocks, a pause, and two more knocks to top it all off. Yeah, my boyfriend is definitely something else.

I rush downstairs to the front door but before I can reach it, Haley has already flung it wide open. I think about going down there right away, but the inquiring and must I say, nosy side of me, tells me not to move.

Yep, I have now resulted to eavesdropping.

"Where's Alison?" He asks, his voice is demanding and has a hint of annoyance to it.

"What, no hello? How are you?" She smirks, feigning hurt.

"Cut the crap Haley, what do you want?" 

"You already know what I want," she speaks seductively, running her hand down his chest. He hastily grabs it and puts it away from him, taking a step back. That's my boy.

"Mia isn't so well," she blurts, and his eyes narrow. Who's Mia? Another ex?

"Well that isn't my problem." He shakes his head but a slightly guilty look fleets in his eyes.

"It is your problem Dylan, I can't do this by myself you know."

"You don't do it by yourself, you have your mom there who practically does everything for you. I already gave you the money you asked for, there's nothing else I can do, Haley." He looks exasperated, running a hand through his silky hair.

"There is something you can do Dylan, you can actually try to be there for your daughter!" She shrieks and my heart completely stops, my legs threaten to give out on me so I grab on to the closest thing to me, which to my luck, is a wall.

Both Dylan and Haley's eyes travel up towards my direction and I realise I've been caught out. My muscles don't allow me to move or speak so I stand frozen, like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Ali," Dylan is the first to speak, his voice a little shaky. Tears threaten to spill but I try my hardest to hold them back. I honestly don't know why I'm on the verge of crying, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to react in a situation as peculiar and unforseen as this.

I've just found out that my eighteen-year-old boyfriend has had a baby with his so called 'psycho' ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to be my best friend's cousin and to top it all off, lives under the same roof as me.

My life right now honestly sounds like a soap opera, and I wonder idly if the cameras will show up anytime soon. Dylan makes no time of climbing up the stairs and taking my hand into his. He looks into my eyes and I struggle to keep the eye contact right now.

"Please, let me explain." He pleads, apprehension flaring in his brown orbs.

Should I let him explain? What even is there to say? I'd rather be spared of all the gory details of how this must have happened. I felt queasy enough as it was back in eighth grade when we had that sex education class with Mr. Walter.

Abruptly, a thought of realisation hits me hard like a ton of bricks. Could this possibly be what Jason was talking about? How Dylan didn't tell me everything, was he hiding the fact that he has a daughter? Suddenly everything seems so clear, but I still need to hear it from Dylan. I want to make sure that what I think I know is the real-life truth, so I guess I'll give Dylan the benefit of the doubt.

I hastily snatch my hand back from his grasp and cross my arms, glancing down at my ballet flats. I don't want to make any unwise decisions right now, therefore, I need to be able to think straight. For that to happen I need to have absolutely zero contact with Dylan-- his touch distracts me too much.