Chapter 35

Recap: Ali was curious to find out what Dylan has been refraining to tell her. Jason tells Dylan that they need to talk. Ali, following her inquisitive nature decided to eavesdrop on their conversation but the only thing she got out of Jason and Dylan's talk was Dylan saying "they're back".

(Ali's P.O.V)

After an uneventful lunch time spent doing homework in the library whilst Dylan was off training for his upcoming football game, I hadn't really used up much of my time to think about what happened this morning.

I'm dying to ask Dylan about what he had said to Jason, but then he'd know that I'd been eavesdropping, and that's not really something I want to particularly disclose to him. "They're back" he had said. Who are back? What is he on about, and what does Jason have to do with it? Maybe instead of asking Dylan, I could get some answers out of Jason.

"Fancy seeing you here," a deep voice startles me from behind and I jump instinctively. I sigh in relief as I twirl in my seat to find Alex, only realising now just how much these thoughts I've been having are getting to me. I smile gingerly at him as he pulls out a chair next to mine.

"I think you almost just gave me a heart attack," I joke and he chuckles.

"Sorry," he mutters. "Mind if I sit?" My brow quirks as he says this.

"Tell me," I begin while Alex sits down, "what's a guy like you, doing in a place like this?" I gesture around the vast room, lined with row upon row of old books. Usually, you'd never find a member of the so called 'popular crowd' in a place such as a library, so what Alex is doing in here is simply beyond me.

"Charming my way into getting some random girl to do my homework for me," he smirks and my eyes narrow, causing him to chuckle lowly. "I'm joking," he ruffles my hair and I swat his hand away. "I came here to see you." My brows furrow once he says this.

"Why, exactly?" I mutter, confused.

"Gee, could you be anymore excited?" He places as hand over his heart, "just when I thought we could be good friends." He feigns hurt and I chuckle, getting instantly reprimanded by the pruny librarian. "Can we walk?" Alex whispers, picking up his backpack. I nod, clumsily gathering my things as well and follow him out.

"So, I hear you and Dylan are going on vacation." He says after we exit the library as we stroll down the deserted hallway.

"Uh, yeah..." I trail off, not sure where he's going with this.

"He sounded excited," Alex smiles, though there's a fleet of another emotion that momentarily flashes through his eyes. I can't quite put my finger on it. "Although he didn't tell me where it is you guys are going,"

"I think there's a good reason for that," I reply, referring to the date that was crashed yesterday due to Elliot disclosing to Jake where we'd be.

"Aw c'mon, you can get freaky with Dylan any other time. Wouldn't it be so much more fun if your bestest friends were to be there, too?" He puts on his widest smile and I instantaneously blush. Does he know about what Dylan and I did yesterday? No, he can't know. Dylan has never been the kind to kiss and tell.

A tiny sigh of relief escapes my mouth.

"If her bestest friends were where?" Someone suddenly appears from behind and we both turn to face the culprit. Jake stands with pretty much a buffet on a tray. Let me attempt to name at least half of the contents that are currently placed on the tray he's holding: four slices of pizza, two bags of chips, a pack full of donuts, two cans of soda and a bottle of water.

Yeah, I wasn't joking when I called it a buffet.

"Dude, where are you going with all of that? Feeding a small village in Africa?" Alex snorts and I laugh.