Wrong Decisions

It was the end of the week and Connie had barely noticed Jacob around the department. Well, she'd noticed him but it seemed he had next to no interest in her anymore. He was his usual self with everyone else, flirty, laughing, inappropriate but with her there was nothing.

As she finished with a patient she noticed Jacob walk to the nurses' station at the same time. "Morning Jacob-" "Morning Mrs Beauchamp." Nothing. Connie sighed as she remained where she was, normally by now so many things would have been said and she'd be close to snapping at him.

"There you are, Jacob there's someone in reception here to see you..." "And she's hot Jacob, where did you find her?" Cal laughed and joked as Connie kept her eyes focused on the paperwork in front of her.

As Jacob was about to talk Connie picked the folders up and walked away from them heading for her office. "Mrs Beauchamp what about my patient-" "Find someone else Dr Hardy." She closed the door as Jacob and Ethan looked towards the door she'd just entered.

"So come on Jacob, who's the chick?" He rolled his eyes walking to reception with Cal being nosy. Ethan walked up to his brother and handed him some folders. "Seeing as you have nothing better to do, cubicle 5 needs a doctor and I can't juggle this many patients." Cal scoffed but Ethan was already gone in direction of cubicles.

Connie sat at her desk unsure as to why she was so bothered about what had been said. She let her head rest against her hand as someone knocked at the door. Before she could tell them to leave they'd opened the door and come inside.

"Staff-" "Can you just let me explain first?" She rolled her eyes before speaking. "What makes you think I care about any of it. Just don't bring your personal life into the department-" "Like you don't you mean? I'm sorry-"

Connie glared up at him and spoke calmly and quietly. "I suggest you get out of my office Staff Nurse Masters." He looked towards her refusing to move. "Not until you tell me why you're being so cold with me-" "ME!? How can you say I'm being cold, you're the one who can barely spend 2 minutes in a room with me."

Jacob closed the door and crossed the room to her desk again. "Connie-" "Mrs B-" "Beauchamp, I know-" "And how dare you talk about me and my life... I'm not exactly bringing in my one night stands to work Staff Nurse Masters. My personal life is a little more complicated than worrying about where the next shag is going to come from because I assume that's all I was to you!"

Her words got under his skin and she knew it but right now it didn't matter. "I can't stand the site of you, the only reason you are still in this department is because you're a good nurse that we can't afford to lose. As for being cold I couldn't care less what you think-" "Then why are you so bothered about how I've been with you recently, I just thought it was easier."

"You know what, you're right it is easier. Don't bother pretending as though you care anymore, because I don't want your sympathy. Staff Nurse Masters I'd appreciate it if you kept your personal life away from the department-" "You really don't listen to people do you-" "You are really beginning to get on my nerves Staff Nurse Masters."

Jacob and Connie continued to argue until she stood up slamming her hands on the desk. "Sleeping with you was the biggest mistake of my life and I've made some pretty shit decisions Staff Nurse Masters. Now get the hell out of my office and do your job properly for a change!"

He didn't even try to argue back. Her last words were enough to make anyone hate her. Jacob turned around and walked for the door briefly stopping to look back. "And for the record, that 'one night stand' was my younger sister." He closed the door with some force behind him walking into the department once again.

Connie slumped in her chair unsure of whether she was happy he'd stay away from her or not. She certainly regretted sleeping with him but not for the reasons he thought. Rather than continue working Connie began putting everything away and collected up some folders as there was another knock at the door.

"Come in." She didn't turn around to see who was there but it was soon cleared up. "Mrs Beauchamp, sorry to interrupt but I just... I just wanted to see you if you were coming across to the pub with us. A few of us are having a drink and figured you might want one." Connie looked across at Cal and forced a smile.

"Thank you for the very tempting offer Dr Knight but I'll have to turn you down." He smiled as she picked everything up almost dropping the folders. "Here let me take those-" "I can do it myself, I'm not incompetent-" "I know you're not. You're far from it." Still he took the folders from her as she picked up her coat and bag.

Cal walked side by side with Connie to her car and waited for her to open her boot. He put everything down before turning to her. "You sure I can't persuade you, one drink?" Connie fiddled with the keys in her hand before declining again. "I really should get home." Cal nodded and risked placing a kiss on her cheek before nodding and walking away.

Connie had no time to react or do anything so was just standing there the whole time, watching as he then walked away. What she didn't realise was Jacob standing by the wall under the shelter of the ED watching everything.

When she finally turned around and closed the boot she looked up to see Jacob standing there. Connie got herself into her car and left the car park before anything else could be said. She didn't know he'd seen everything but from the way he looked it was pretty obvious.