Phone Call

Everything had calmed down over the last 5 months. Grace was due home at the end of her school year as Connie hadn't wanted to disrupt her education anymore than it already had been. Jacob had been living with Connie for 3 months and everything was going smoothly, bar the odd argument.

Connie stood finishing what she needed to say before dismissing the staff for the start of what was going to be a busy day.

"So then Mrs B, how's married life treating you-" "Dr Munro I'm not married." She shrugged looking across at her. "You live together it basically is-" "I can assure you Alicia, living with someone is nothing like married life... You like the person you live with in my experience you don't like the one you marry so much."

Alicia laughed walking beside Connie towards cubicles. "You know what I mean though... Is he as annoying as he is here?" Connie looked towards Alicia pausing outside of a cubicle. "Oh if only he was like that, you don't see half of it." She laughed before happily wandering off to another cubicle with Lily.

"So are you prepared for Grace's return?" Jacob looked up from where he was sat in the staff room to see Cal standing with Zoe. "Yeah, Connie's really excited to have her back-" "Make the most of the time you get now, because when she's back you'll never have a night alone." Zoe pushed Cal as he laughed.

Jacob stood up and wandered towards the door way as Connie stepped into the other door of the staffroom. "Don't you worry Dr Knight, I use my time wisely-" "I swear to god if that was another reference to us having sex you're never gonna get it again!" Cal laughed as Zoe choked on her drink.

"Oh I will Mrs B, don't worry" he winked as he walked away with Cal following leaving Connie with Zoe. "Just don't..." Connie held her hands up stopping Zoe from speaking as she walked from the room.

Lily stood by the nurses' station with Ethan. "Have you heard anything from your sister?" Ethan shook his head looking back down at his patient folders. "They'll be okay..." Lily rested a hand on his offering a small comforting smile. "I hope so." They wandered to resus, Alicia catching up to them.

"Soooo-" "So what, Dr Munro?" She smiled at Lily looking between her and Ethan. "You're so annoying..." Lily let a small smile cross her face as she pushed the doors to resus open as Alicia laughed while Ethan looked clueless. "Don't worry it was nothing horrible!" She patted his shoulder before bouncing away.

Connie rounded the corner before colliding with Jacob. "Always falling at my feet hey sweet cheeks-" "You are not going to leave this shift alive tonight are you?" He laughed before kissing her quickly which took her by surprise. "We'll see Queen B." She shook her head walking towards another patient.

Three hours passed and everyone was still busy dashing between several patients at a time. They were having to swap on and off breaks because there were so many people in the ED that afternoon.

Ethan was sitting in the staffroom with Lofty and Rita when Iain wandered in. "Alright guys, you all up for the pub tonight?" Rita turned around to speak "I thought-" Iain just looked at her as she stopped. "Never mind." She turned back to the table as he walked up behind her putting his hands around her waist.

"Is Nurse Freeman throwing a strop?" He lifted her up as she tried to get free. "Put. Me. Down. Now." He laughed as she turned around to face him with her hands on her hips.

Zoe and Dylan wandered into the staffroom to see them standing opposite each other. "Have we missed something-" "No just Iain being an ars-" Rita couldn't finish what she was saying as he picked her up over his shoulder and walked from the room. "Like a pair of hormonal teenagers-" "Give over Dylan, liven up a little." Zoe shook her head smirking as he went wide eyed, he didn't see that as 'livening up'.

"Iain! Seriously put me down!" She was angry but began to laugh out of embarrassment. "Alright lads?" Iain spoke casually passing Cal, Charlie and Max who just laughed. He began to walk quicker through reception as Connie watched on.

"Anyone would think this was a playground not a hospital." She shook her head walking away as Jacob crept up behind her. "Jealous?" Connie jumped as he scared her. She turned around smacking his chest as she glared at him. "Do some work for a change." Jacob pulled a face as Cal laughed. "Nice one mate, anger the boss!"

"It's alright I'll make it up to her later-" "I'm not having sex with you!" She called out from further down the corridor knowing that's what he was referring to. Jacob smiled as Cal rested a hand on his shoulder. "Rather you than me..." Cal walked with Jacob to reception to get another patient.

Considering the way the department had been it had been a good day. Everyone was coming to the end of their shifts with smiles on their faces still. And despite all the joking and messing around which happened, the department was running pretty well.

Connie's phone began to ring with a number she didn't recognise as she approached the nurses' station. She answered it absentmindedly but her face drained of all colour when she heard the voice on the other end.

"Connie?" Charlie looked across at her as she raised her eyes to him but didn't seem to see him, she was so focused on whoever was talking.

She turned around and began charging through the department. "Sweet cheeks... Connie?" Jacob joked before realising something was wrong.

Connie continued walking beginning to run towards the staffroom. "Okay sweetheart stay on the phone to me... Keep talking alright." She walked in and everyone looked up at her.

"Cal!" He looked up at her confused as to why she looked so worried. "We need to go- Alright sweetheart I've got him, stay where you are we're on our way."

His face dropped as he ran from the room after her. She didn't wait to see if he came after her. "Connie is it-" "Yes..." Without another word Cal ran from the department with Connie and got into her car as she drove away leaving everyone else questioning what was going on.