Discharged

Connie had stayed like everyone wanted her to. She'd been upstairs for almost two weeks and she was finally being told she could go home.

She hadn't seen Jacob for almost a week and she was beginning to worry. She only received blunt answers to anything she text him and he never seemed to be around to answer her calls.

Jacob still didn't know about their baby, she had wanted to tell him but it wasn't something she felt she could bring up by texting him. Connie finished putting things into her bag before standing up.

Connie was in the bathroom glancing into the mirror at the unnoticeable bump that was sure to start forming soon. The thought of becoming a mother again was daunting but something that grew on her each time she stood here looking down at herself.

"Knock knock, is it okay to come in?" Connie had heard the doors open and smiled hearing Charlie's voice. "Hey, I was just making sure I had everything."  Her voice faltered slightly when she didn't see Jacob with him.

She tried not to show her disappointment but Charlie knew who she had really wanted, and who wouldn't in her position. He enveloped her into a hug as it was the first time he'd seen her since she was admitted.

Wrapped in his embrace a few tears began to roll down her cheeks. "Hey what's wrong? This isn't like you-" "I'm pregnant Charlie and it feels like I'm losing their Father all because I can't keep my mouth shut."  Charlie continued to gently rub his hand up and down her back.

"I'm sure you haven't lost him-" "He hasn't seen me in a week, it just feels like he's slipping away from me... Who could blame him? I mean a middle aged woman with some serious commitment issues and now health problems."  Charlie pulled away from her and frowned. "Come on, less of that. Let's get going, don't know about you but being anywhere except the ED seems foreign!"

Connie smiled as Charlie took her bag from her and walked from the department. "Congratulations by the way... Does he know yet?"  She shook her head, everything going quiet again. Wandering along the corridors everything felt slow. She just wanted Jacob again.

Charlie looked to Connie as they continued to walk. "You've still got another two weeks away from the ED, figured I'd tell you now."  Connie rolled her eyes doubting she'd make it that long. The only thing stopping her from arguing back was the thought of harming her baby by pushing it too much.

As they neared the carpark Charlie looked up smiling to himself. "You need to make sure you relax these next few weeks... Well as much as you can."  Connie nodded briefly before noticing the small smile on his lips. She raised her eyes before seeing Jacob standing beside his car.

"Jacob?"  He smiled across at her causing her mood to completely change. She ran across the car park and into his arms as he held onto her. "Was that really taking it easy?" "Shut up Jacob."  She kissed him gently before letting his arms wrap around him once again. "There's someone else you might be happy to see..."

He stepped to the side a little as Grace smiled from beside the car. "Mum!" "Grace?"  The younger girl came closer and wrapped her arms around Connie's waist before she dropped down to her level to hold her properly. "What are you doing here baby?"

Connie pressed her lips to Grace's forehead, a little shocked that she was here like this. "Jacob said it would be a nice surprise.  He helped me with my room too so you don't have to!"  Connie looked at Grace as though she wasn't really there. "You mean everything's been moved back?"  Grace nodded her head a tear escaped Connie's eye.

She pulled her daughter into her chest before standing up and looking over to Jacob. "You sorted all of this?"  He closed the space between them as he enveloped her into a hug. "I didn't want you to be worrying about your baby girl after being through all this." 

Connie pulled back to look up at Jacob, he noticed how upset she looked. "I'm sorry for how I was last week, I didn't mean for it to sound like it did-" "Don't worry about it sweet cheeks... How about we get home, spend the night in front of the sofa while you two girls catch up?"  Connie smiled nodding as Jacob took Connie's bag from Charlie.

"I'll speak to you soon Connie, remember to-" "Relax. I know."  She forced a smile with a small roll of her eyes before hugging Grace again and climbing into the car.