Broken Hearts

It was Jacob's first day back in the ED after his accident and he couldn't be happier to be back. He wanted to see Connie, he needed to see her. He'd tried calling her, texting everything but she never answered. It had been three weeks and she hadn't spoken to him at all.

He walked into the hospital to be greeted by several people. Jacob smiled saying hello to everyone but there was only one person he was seemingly interested in finding but he couldn't see her anywhere. "Alicia, I don't suppose you happen to know where Mrs Beauchamp is?" 

Connie finished in cubicles before coming face to face with Jacob. She knew he was back today but she hadn't expected him until the afternoon.  "Welcome back Staff Nurse Masters."  Connie tried covering up everything she felt in that moment but it didn't convince him. "I know I used to moan at you for being late but 3 hours early, that's desperate even for you."  He smiled but didn't believe her joking attitude towards it at all.

"Maybe I had a better reason to come here-" "Oh really, and what's more important than your job?" "What if I said I came in to find you-" "Don't, please."  She looked up at him before being called away to another patient. Jacob retreated to the staff room deciding to get changed and start his shift anyway.

A few hours passed before Connie came in contact with Jacob again. They were both waiting outside for the ambulance leaving them time to talk which she was not grateful for. "Connie please, talk to me-" "And say what Jacob?" "Anything because leaving after what I said isn't exactly what I thought would happen."

"And what did you think would happen. That I'd stand there and say how scared I was of losing you. That I couldn't bare to see you in that kind of pain and that it worried me that I'd never be able to tell you how much I loved you?  You thought you'd say that to me and I'd fall at your feet like I hadn't completely fallen for you already?"  Connie could feel all her emotions falling out in one go, giving everything away. "Connie I-" but there was no time for either to say anything as the ambulance rolled up.

Neither said anything to the other except from things to do with the treatment of their patient. As soon as she could Connie left and retreated to her office. All Jacob could think about was what she'd said.  Scared of losing you. How much I loved you. Like I hadn't completely fallen already.

Connie had to come out of her office at some point and it seemed like it was going to be sooner rather than later. "You're needed in resus now!"  With that Connie darted out of her chair and towards the patient.

"What's happened!?"  Connie looked at the mess in resus before noticing the blood covering her patient. "Get him out of here! Who even let him in!?"  She began to treat the young girl laying before her when she felt herself being dragged backwards.

"EXCUSE ME BUT WHO-" she eagerly stopped when she felt something cool and metallic pressing into her back. "Now you're going to tell everyone to move away from her and let her die-" "I'm a doctor, I can't do th-that."  She felt something press further into her back, her breath hitched before coming out faster with each passing second.

Jacob was standing opposite Connie watching the fear spread across her face, that was when the machines beside the bed began to screech. "Charlie I need you to apply pressure to the wound on her arm-" "DON'T DO THAT-" "Charlie listen to me!  Apply pressure to it, she's losing too much blood-" "And so will you soon if you don't stop!"

Jacob never let his eyes leave Connie's while she spoke. "Dr Hardy? Check the chest injury, make sure her airways are still clear-" Again she felt pressure on her back once again but this time it was quick and different.

Cal had been edging closer and closer from his patient behind them. He was close enough to grab her but didn't risk it. He took one look across at Jacob before nodding. Cal grabbed the arm of the man holding Connie back causing him to drop the knife.

Connie fell forwards and Jacob reached out taking her arm and pulling her to his chest away from the other man. She began walking to the bed "Con-" "Staff Nurse Masters I can't do this on my own, please if you want to help me then do this."  He looked at her before watching security hold down the other man. "What do you need sweet cheeks?"

After an hour in resus, Connie was finally sitting at her desk. It wasn't until she was alone that she realised what had just happened. There was a knock at her door followed by laughter as Jacob pushed it open, it was only then due to his reaction, that she realised tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"Hey, hey, hey... Come here."  Jacob dropped his bag moving across the room and pulled her into his arms as her cries began to surface. "Shh, everything is going to be alright, I promise you I'll never let anyone hurt you."  Connie found herself holding onto Jacob tighter than she'd expected. She felt his warm hand moving gently up and down her back while the other rested at the back of her head.

Slowly and carefully he pressed his lips to her forehead, kissing her gently. "I promise, no ones ever going to get close enough to hurt you again."  Connie sniffed and moved her hands to cover her face but Jacob just pulled them away and rested his own there instead, wiping away the tears from her face.

Neither said anything as they looked at one another. Jacob wanted to kiss her but at the same time he wanted to pull away and stop her from doing anything he knew she'd regret. Connie had only one thought running through her mind.

She felt Jacob's hand began to fall from her cheek so she reached out and held onto it, bringing it to her lips where she held it for a few seconds taking a steady breath. After, she raised her eyes to meet his before her hand went to his cheek and she carefully leant in to kiss him.

As soon as her lips touched his he responded. Jacob gently kissed her, careful not to do too much as he was worried she'd pull away and retreat into herself again. It took him by surprise when he felt Connie part her lips slightly, before he decided to deepen the kiss. His hands fell naturally to her waist, hugging her closer to him as they got caught up in the moment. Connie rested a hand behind his neck, urging him closer to her if it was physically possible.

The moment was gentle yet passionate, careful yet desperate and he was all that she seemed capable to think about. When they finally separated Jacob said nothing as his eyes never left her face. "Thank you for today, I really needed you and I don't think I'd have done it without you-" "You know, you never have to do anything without me because I'll always be here for you sweet cheeks."  For the first time in hours a smile passed her lips causing Jacob to laugh. "Now there's the independent woman I love to see, the rare happy one."  He winked at her as she tightened the grip around his neck pulling him closer again and pushing her lips onto his.