6 Month Scan

Connie walked out of cubicles and across to the nurses' station. The ED was overflowing with patients and they had nowhere to send people anymore.

"Nurse Freeman how is resus?"  She nodded sorting through the folders in front of her. "Just waiting for a bed upstairs for one of them and tests to come back for the other-" "Good, keep it that way.  Dr Hanna, tell me that patients are actually getting discharged now."

Zoe and Dylan had been rushing around trying to move patients on as quickly as they could. Charlie and Jacob had been keeping an eye on Connie making sure she wasn't doing too much but she couldn't care less today.

"It's starting to free up-" "Okay.  Dr Knight I need you with my please."  He moved from where he was and followed Connie through to cubicles.

20 minutes later Jacob was standing by the nurses station. "Has anyone seen Mrs Beauchamp recently?"  Louise shrugged as Robyn shook her head. "Last time I saw her she was by cubicles."  Jacob smiled heading off to find her.

"I'm pretty sure it's broken.  Okay can we organise an x-ray and set up an IV paracetamol line please Dr Knight."  He nodded "Of course, anything else?" "Nope, that's all.  I'll be back once we receive the results of the scan."  Connie pulled the curtain to the cubicle shut behind her as Alicia found her.

"Mrs Beauchamp shouldn't you be done by now?" Connie glanced at her watch, technically she should have been finished two hours ago but that didn't matter. "Everything okay Dr Munro?"  Alicia frowned at the results in her hands. "Hmm yeah, it's just, these don't make sense."

Connie took them from her as they walked towards another cubicle. Jacob could hear her talking so decided to just hover outside until she was finished. "Ah Jacob you busy?"  He spun round to face Cal who stopped beside him. "What's up?"

He wandered to the nurses' station with him before resting against it. "I don't suppose there's anyway you could have Amy Friday night, it's just both me and Ethan are here.  I think Connie forgot."  Jacob placed a hand on his shoulder nodding. "It's fine, I'll speak to her." "Thanks."

"As long as you're careful, it should be alright. Dr Munro will just get your discharge forms signed and then you'll be free to go."  "Thank you Doctor."  Connie smiled leaving Alicia and bumping into Jacob, literally.

"Sorry sweet cheeks, you okay? You look exhausted."  Connie shook it off with a quick smile. "I'm fine, anyway what are you still doing here?"  Jacob looked down at her. "Could ask you the same thing."

Connie went to begin arguing back. "I'm clinical lead Jacob and unless you hadn't realised we're a little busy-" "I meant why aren't you upstairs in maternity? We have a scan in 10 minutes." Connie looked at her watch again before dropping her head to his chest swearing to herself. Jacob smirked rubbing a hand against her back. "Go get what you need, come on."

A few minutes later and they were sat in the small waiting area. Jacob sat with his arm around her shoulders as she played with the bottom of her shirt. "Are you nervous?" "No why?"  He glanced down at her hands before looking back at her again.

"I just don't like these things... I always worry about them telling me somethings wrong with the baby like they did with Grace."  Jacob smiled warmly before kissing her forehead. "It'll be fine, don't work yourself up."  She smiled before standing as her name was called.

She took hold of Jacob's hand as they crossed into the room. "Hi Connie, how have you been?"  "Fine."  Jacob could tell how scared she really was about this.  He took hold of her hand again once she was laid on the bed.

Within seconds images of their baby flashed up on the small screen. Connie felt Jacob's grip tighten on her hand causing her to smile, he did the same every time. Her eyes watched as the image showed their baby moving about.

"They certainly like to move don't they?" "Mmm don't need to tell me that."  Connie continued to watch mesmerised by what they were seeing. "I reckon this little ones going to be a handful-" "Just like their annoying father then."

Jacob looked up to Connie. "Like father like son-" "Do not start this again."  The midwife looked between the two of them. "He thinks it's going to be a boy, but I'm refusing to believe anything until they're in my arms."  She smiled before wiping the gel from Connie's stomach.

"Everything's fine, I just want to run a few tests on you though.  Nothing to worry about, I'd rather be safe."  Connie nodded before she left the room quickly. "What tests sweet cheeks, you seemed to know what she meant."

Connie sighed sitting across Jacob's lap. "When I was pregnant with Grace, I suffered with a few problems.  They found a small tumour, it was nothing serious but it worried them at first."  Jacob's face contorted into one of shock and worry. "Really, it's nothing to worry about.  I haven't had any problems since, okay.  I promise."

Jacob placed a hand to her cheek. "Is this why you've been so scared all along?" "Who said I was scared-" "Oh please you might think you've got it under control but I can see through all this Beauchamp.  You know it as well as I do." 

Connie forced a smile as Jacob wrapped his arms around her. "Talk to me, I'm here for you."  She rest her head against his shoulder briefly before sitting up. "I love you-" "I love you too."  He kissed her briefly before letting his hands rest across her stomach.

"You know this baby is going to be so lucky... He's got the most amazing Mummy and a pretty incredible big sister."  Connie placed her hands on top of his with a smile. "And an arrogant father, what more could they need?"  Jacob smiled as he pressed his lips to her neck. "Like I said, they're lucky."