Small Surprises

Connie walked out of her office to be greeted by a grinning Alicia. "You ready to go?"  Connie smiled locking the office door and heading for reception. "So about this baby show-" "No.  It is not happening Alicia. I don't need all the hassle." 

Alicia had been wanting to plan something for Connie but she seemed to be having none of it. "Well it's a little bit late to say you don't want anything at all-" "What have you done now?"

They stepped outside where Jacob was talking to Cal and Iain. They momentarily stopped as the women stepped outside. "So Zoe said she'll meet us there and I think Robyn was dragging Lofty out too."  Cal smiled wrapping an arm around Alicia's shoulder.

Connie watched before taking Jacob's hand wandering towards his car. "We'll see you there Iain-" "Yeah if I ever make it out... Some women just take their time."  Jacob didn't say anything while in such close proximity to Connie which made her smile to herself.

After Jacob drove the four of them to the restaurant they began making their way inside. "So you never did answer me on what you meant earlier-" "Well why do you think we're all out tonight?" 

Connie continued to walk with Jacob looking towards Alicia as they went inside. "Hey, surprise!"  Connie looked along the table which had been laid out for them all. Jacob smiled across at Zoe as Alicia turned to them. "We figured it would be nice to properly say congratulations to you, 8 months late I know but it's the thought."

To Alicia's surprise Connie wandered over to her and hugged her. "Thank you-" "Anything for my little godchild and their Mummy."  Connie found it strange how close she had become to Alicia in recent years. Since Jeff's death she'd found something uplifting about being around the younger doctor.

There were small triangle banners pinned up around the room. Some read congratulations and others had pictures of things related to babies. Connie smiled as she noticed a small pile of cards at one end of the table addressed to her and Jacob along with a few presents.

Connie spent the evening sitting and laughing with Alicia and Zoe while Jacob spoke to Rita, Iain and Robyn. "I bet you can't wait to meet them."  Jacob nodded with a smile towards Connie. "It's going to be something pretty special yeah-" "Mmm a crying baby screaming at you all day, all night."

Jacob smiled across at Rita as Connie spoke up. "He should be good at it then seeing as he spends the day with you which isn't too dissimilar."  Rita glared across at Connie while everyone else tried not to laugh. "On that note I think I'm going to get a drink, anyone want one?" Iain moved from the table as Jacob jumped up to join him.

"So how long have you and Alicia been a thing?"  Cal pulled his eyes away from her to look at Lofty. "What do you mean?" Lofty frowned. "Come on mate. You haven't stopped looking at her all night."

Alicia glanced across at Cal with a warm smile as he looked at her. "It's not been long, but I like her.  She's good with Amy too."  Lofty smiled patting his shoulder before they all began talking together again.

Another hour passed and they were all still sitting about talking. Connie smiled before rubbing a hand against her bump. "Everything okay?"  Zoe noticed the shift in her mood.

"I'll be fine Zoe, I just need to go to the toilet."  Connie nodded her head in the direction of the door which Zoe took as a signal for her to go too. "We'll be right back."

As soon as Connie was out of sight she let go of a breath she'd been holding. Zoe caught up to her side and noticed the pain shooting through her face. "Connie-" "It's probably just Braxton hicks but I'm beginning to doubt this baby's staying in there much longer." 

Zoe helped Connie into the bathroom before facing her. "How long have you been feeling that way?"  Connie shrugged rubbing her bump. "About a week now, look don't tell Jacob. The last thing I need is him panicking and getting me to stop working." 

Connie went into a cubicle while Zoe waited for her. "You know he might surprise you and it could help him knowing-" "Do not think about it Zoe.  I don't need him to know okay? I only told you so that if anything happens at work somebody will know."  Zoe sighed surrendering as Connie reappeared.

"When I had Grace I went into labour early, I didn't tell anyone about it. I don't think this ones going to last another 4 weeks either, I'll be lucky to make it to the end of the week." Zoe's eyes widened as she looked at Connie.

Zoe knew there was no shifting Connie on working or saying something to Jacob so she just nodded and made a mental note to check on her through out the day for the rest of the week.

They returned to the table where everything had been cleared away other than the few cards and presents. "Come on, you have to open these while we're all here." Connie sighed with a small smile sitting beside Jacob.

They were given a few items of clothing in both blues and pinks. Connie frowned as she picked up a small envelope. "That's from me and Charlie." Connie glanced at Alicia before opening it up and taking out a small piece of paper.

A few weeks ago Connie had gone shopping with Alicia to get a few basic things they'd need. While they were out Connie looked at getting a new pushchair but decided after seeing the crazy prices she didn't really need a new one as Grace's was hardly used.

"Alicia!?" It was a collection receipt for a new pushchair which she'd had her eye on but decided against. "It's fine, we wanted to get it for you." Connie shook her head looking across at her. "Thank you, everyone this has been lovely."

Jacob stretched beside Connie. "Where's my present at Alicia?" He laughed across at her before Connie grabbed a bow from the table and placed it against herself and her bump. "Yay congratulations, now get over yourself." People laughed all around the table as Jacob shook his head leaning in to kiss Connie.

The night drew to a close and everyone headed home for the evening. Zoe stepped to one side with Connie lowering their voices. "Call me if you need anything okay? Don't think you can do everything alone, and if you think it's happening do not drive." Connie rolled her eyes but supposed she was thankful for the support.

What they didn't realise was how soon she would be needing it.