Happy Girl

Connie had tried to phone both Sam and Grace but neither seemed to be answering. She'd been trying all day and was beginning to panic now.

It was their third day in America, time had slipped away from the pair the previous day as they just walked. Connie didn't mind too much, she wanted time with Jacob while out here too and that was definitely what she was getting.

"This is Sam Strachan, I can't take your call at the moment so leave a message and I'll get back to you..." Connie huffed in annoyance "Course you will." She rolled her eyes and threw her phone to the floor causing Jacob to turn and look at her.

Connie lay face down on the bed thinking about Grace. Jacob sighed sitting beside her and rested a hand on her back. "Are you forgetting something?" Connie sat up looking at him. "What-" "You're in America, where your baby girl lives. Just go round make sure they're okay."

Jacob watched as Connie got up from the bed picking up her bag and phone from the floor. "Come on then..." Jacob smiled at her. "You want me to come with you-" "Someone needs to stop me from throwing my daughters sperm donor under a bus, so yes."

He laughed before walking past her. "I really want to spend time with you too sweet cheeks." She caught his hand and turned him back to her. She leant up and kissed him passionately before parting from his lips. "I love you, now let's go..."

Half an hour later Connie was standing at the fence of a house looking towards the door. Jacob placed a hand around her waist. "Come on, I'm here with you." She nodded before pulling away from him and walking up to the door.

Connie knocked on the door before hearing voices and movement from inside. "Okay Dad..." Grace froze at the door looking up in shock. "Grace who is it-" "Mum!?" She ran out of the door and wrapped her arms around Connie's waist.

Sam appeared moments later looking out in disbelief. "Connie. You didn't say you were coming-" "Why would I when you'd just tell me not to bother?" He raised his eyes to see Jacob standing the other side of the fence looking down the street. "I see you bought the nurse of the month with you-" "Save it Sam."

Connie smiled down at Grace who was looking up at her. "Why are you here-" "I promised you that I'd come and see you didn't I?"  Grace smiled hugging her once again. "I tried calling but you probably already knew that-" "Don't be so pathetic Connie."

"Grace go back inside I need to talk to your Mum."  She didn't want to but did as he said. Connie folded her arms against her chest watching him. "Why are you here-" "Sam I promised Grace I'd come and see her before see moved back home, why is that such an issue for you to get your head around." 

Sam looked at her before she dropped her hands. "You know what, fine. I'll let you explain to Grace why I've gone shall I? In fact no I'll tell her because I can't trust a word that comes out of your mouth-" "Oh please, don't flatter yourself. What makes you think she'd want to spend any time with you anyway? Hmm, not exactly Mum of the year are you!" 

Connie swung her hand slapping him across the face causing Jacob to run up to the house and hold onto Connie. "You're a lot of things Sam but I never had you down as this much of a pr-" "Mum? Why are you shouting at Dad?" 

Grace looked up at Connie standing with Jacob's hands around her waist still. "Come on Grace let's get back inside, your Mum was about to leave-" "No I want to go with her."  Grace ran over to Connie and into her arms.

Connie dropped to the floor hugging Grace. "Come on, you know we're supposed to be somewhere soon-" "I said I didn't want to go Dad."  Grace turned away from Connie. "Well you can't stay alone-" "I'll stay with Mum."

She could see the anger in Sam's face. "Fine, but I need to go now."  Grace nodded running to get a bag while Sam stood in the doorway, his arms folded against his chest huffing. "I'll get her home-" "I'm away all weekend, that's why I needed her to come."

"It's a good thing we're here for a while then isn't it?"  Sam watched as Grace ran past him and towards Connie. "Hi Jacob!"  He smiled down at her as she held onto his hand walking from the garden. Sam closed the door before Connie had even turned away.

They headed back none of them speaking much. "How long are you here Mum?"  Connie sat at the end of the chair Grace was sitting on. "We're here for another week, why?"  "Can I come home when you go, it's only one more month of school I wouldn't miss much."

Connie placed a hand on Grace's cheek forcing a smile. "I'll speak to your Dad but-" "He won't let me, I know. He won't let me do anything since I said I was going home." 

Grace went to get up before Connie held onto her wrist. "Wait Grace... You better make sure you pack everything.  I'll tell your Dad you're coming home with us."  She wrapped her arms around Connie's neck hugging her tightly. "Thanks Mum, I love you."