Faded

Connie jumped out of the bed running for the bathroom. Jacob bolted upright as soon as he felt Connie move in the bed. She'd not experienced any sickness during the pregnancy but the last few days she'd been unwell.

She wouldn't admit it but she was completely drained. Exhaustion had hit her hard and she was fighting just to stay awake at the best of times. Jacob was soon sitting pressed against her back pulling her hair back and tying it up.

"Do you need anything?" When she finally could Connie spoke up. "Just stay with me Jacob." He felt her hold onto his hand as she spoke. "Of course I will." He held onto her hand while the other gently rubbed her back.

Connie seemed to have stopped being sick but could barely keep her eyes open. "Jacob where-" "Shh..." He stood up and carefully put an arm under legs and behind her back picking her up. He carried her into the bedroom lying her back down before getting in beside her.

Jacob ran a hand through her hair as she rolled onto her side to face him. Although her eyes were closed she was awake. "Sorry-" "It's okay sweet cheeks, you can't help being sick." Connie's hand softly traced circles across her stomach while she took some deep breaths.

"If this carries on then I'm taking you to see Zoe. No if's, and's or but's alright." Connie nodded letting Jacob know she really was feeling bad. Normally she'd fight him and wouldn't stop until he gave up.

Within ten minutes Connie was asleep again. Jacob rest his head down beside her and closed his eyes but it didn't last for very long. "Jacob?" Grace knocked at the door lightly before he sat up smiling at her.

"Everything alright sweet heart?" She nodded coming closer. "Is Mum okay?" "She'll be fine, just tired and sick at the moment. Don't worry about her." Grace nodded as Jacob got out of the bed.

"How's breakfast sound?" Grace smiled as she walked from the room with him and downstairs. She sat down in front of the TV while Jacob made her something to eat.

He carried the plate of toast in to her and sat beside her on the sofa. They put something on and remained in that position for a few hours together.

"Do you think it's the baby making Mum sick again?" Grace spoke out of nowhere causing Jacob to turn his attention to her completely. "I'm not sure Grace-" "They will both be okay won't they?" Jacob smiled as he played with her hair. "Of course, your Mum's a fighter always has been. And that little brother of yours is pretty tough too... What?"

Jacob shrugged as Grace rolled her eyes in reference to her having a brother. "We'll see who's right soon enough." He winked at Grace before she cuddled into his side watching TV again.

The next time Connie woke up wasn't until the afternoon. This time she sat up slowly and felt better than she had in days. She moved herself from the bed, finally feeling as though she had some energy again.

She slipped her arms into one of Jacob's shirts, her dressing gown no longer fitting around her. Connie looked into the mirror at herself. She was 5 and a half months now, even though clearly pregnant she was nowhere near the size she was with Grace.

After a while of gazing into the mirror Connie headed downstairs. "Hey, how you feeling now sweet cheeks?" Connie pushed a hand into her hair as she adjusted to the light of the room. "A lot better-" "Do you think you could keep some food down?"

Connie nodded as she noticed Grace. "Hello baby you okay?" "Yes Mum. Jessica wants to know if I want to go to the cinema tomorrow." Connie moved to stand behind Jacob wrapping her arms around him.

"Do you?" Grace nodded as she smiled in response. "Alright then, as long as it's not too late-" "Thank you." Connie rested her head against Jacob's back taking a breath. Something about him always seemed to calm her when she needed it the most.

Jacob finished what he was doing before turning around and facing her. She smiled up at him for a moment as he kissed her before she let her head rest against his chest. "Sure you're okay?" Connie nodded against his chest as she stood up yawning.

"I want to try and get out this afternoon if you're up for it. Just for some air, I could do with it after 3 days in here." Jacob watched as she sat on the sofa lifting her legs up onto it. "Okay, Grace why don't you go get changed." She smiled running off upstairs.

Jacob passed Connie a sandwich before sitting beside her. "Honestly. How are you feeling?" "Better than I have been but I know there's something wrong. You don't run for the bathroom like that otherwise." Jacob nodded as she started eating. "I'll make an appointment in the morning."

Connie smiled warmly at him trying to reassure him. "So how was work yesterday I never asked-" "Falling apart without the magnificent Constance Beauchamp to keep it standing." Connie smirked as Jacob leant across her placing his lips to hers. He'd missed the contact with her.

Connie moved a hand to his shoulder as he hovered in front of her lips. "I love you Jacob-" "I love you too Connie... That's your way of saying your going back to work next week isn't it." She didn't say anything as he moved to look at her. "Fine but don't yell at me for checking on you."

Connie pushed her lips to his once again before Jacob sat with his arm around her waist, his hand on her bump. He couldn't wait to finally meet his baby.