An Unforgettable Day

It was just supposed to be a meeting at another hospital, possible funding for a better department... None of this was meant to happen, none of it.

They drove along, Connie sitting beside Ethan who had taken it upon himself to drive. Further back was Lily, Alicia and Dylan.

"So is this place much further? I mean it feels like we've been driving for a century already-" "Please it's been half an hour and that's it..."

Everyone was silenced as someone plummeted into the side of them sending them skidding across the road.  Connie looked about carefully as she felt a sharp pain shoot down her neck.

Gently she undid her belt hearing sirens approaching them. How long was I out for?  She dropped to the floor before calling out.

"Lily? Lily is everything okay!"  There were some muffled words before hysteria took over as she realised what had happened to them.

Ethan was unconscious beside her while Dylan seemed to be trapped behind her. Alicia seemed the calmest in the back so Connie spoke to her from the front.

"Alicia are you alright?"  She nodded carefully. "I think I'm fine-" "I need you to take a look at Lily Dr Munro, check she's okay and try to keep her calm!"

Connie moved once again but lifting herself up to the smashed window above her. As she did so she felt a pair of hands reach for her and help lift her up.

"Mrs Beauchamp!?  Dix it's our lot!"  Dixie ran towards the vehicle and stood beside Jeff as he lifted Connie from the car.

"Are you alright?"  She waved them away pointing to the car. "Lily's got minor injuries but is extremely unsettled, Alicia is back there with her. Dr Keogh is trapped, possible arterial bleed and Dr Hardy's been unconscious since the accident."

Dixie led her away but Connie stopped her. "I'm fine, just get them out. Make sure they're all okay."

Connie pulled her phone out and dialled the first number. She waited for him to answer but she knew he wouldn't. Instead she called the department and received Charlie's voice.

"Holby emergency-" "Charlie it's me, we've been in a car accident. Jeff and Dixie are with us now. Just prepare the team, please."

Connie put the phone down as a dull aching pain began to thrum through her wrist and then her head. "Dixie, are they okay?"  Rather than answer she told Connie to wait by the ambulance with Alicia.

All of a sudden Connie's phone burst to life with a number she didn't recognise. "Hello-" "Connie, thank god you're okay. What's happened?"

She felt tears beginning to build behind her eyes as she listened to him panicking. "Staff nurse Masters stop, it's not me I'm worried about..."

An hour passed and Connie was in the ED with Alicia, Ethan and Lily. They were the first to be bought in and treated by the team. Connie insisted on Jacob treating Ethan despite his efforts to be with her. "Please, I need to know someone I trust is helping him. He's not good Jacob-" "Okay. I'll get Charlie to come see to you."

Soon enough Connie was cleaned up and sorted but she was still quiet. Charlie sat beside her just keeping her company, not wanting to leave her alone. "Are you alright?"

Connie went to speak as she heard someone else's voice. The one voice that she knew she could take all her anger and upset out on right now.

"Where's Ethan?"  Connie walked out to see a slowly sobering up Cal leaning against the desk. "Oh please don't pretend you care now!  You were too busy shagging someone when he needed you..."

Cal looked towards her not realising they'd all been involved. His eyes widened before Jacob came out. "Connie, I'm so sor-" "He's gonna be okay Connie."  She let out a breath before moving to walk into resus with him and Charlie.

Jeff and Dixie continued out at the site with Dylan. He was unconscious and things weren't looking too good for him. Dixie went to the ambulance to get something before returning to Jeff. "Right on 3 we move... 1, 2, 3!" 

Dylan was removed from the car and placed on a trolley and wheeled by Dixie and another paramedic back to the ambulance.

As they got there the vehicle went up in flames with a huge explosion. Dixie turned to see Jeff realising he wasn't there. "No... Jeff!  JEFF!"  She was held back by Iain as she fell to the floor, all energy drained from her.

The final ambulance arrived and Zoe stood in reception with Rita and Tess to greet them. "This is Dylan Keogh..." stats were reeled off as Connie stood beside Alicia, Charlie and Robyn in reception. "Dixie?  Dixie where's Jeff?"

Again she was short on words as she looked towards everyone in the department. People wandering past reception had stopped upon hearing the clinical leads words.

"No, he can't be... He was fine-" "The car... Petrol had leaked and it caught fire, he didn't... He didn't get out."  Connie couldn't stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks as she turned around and ran to her office slamming the door closed. That could have been any one of us.

The news soon got around the hospital and Jacob found himself in Connie's office trying to confront her as she once again cried into his chest. "He didn't deserve to die Jacob, he didn't... He died saving us."