Asking for Help

Almost two weeks had passed and Amy was living with Ethan and Cal. It wasn't an ideal situation but they worked things out slowly, more problems seeming to rise wherever they looked.

Connie had decided to put herself forward when speaking to social services to vouch for Cal and Ethan. She'd been just as involved as they were at making sure Amy was okay. She'd barely taken a break recently but she was due to fly out to America in less than a weeks time to see Grace.

"Everything alright sweet cheeks?" She looked up at Jacob smiling. "Yeah, I was just thinking about something..." He moved to sit beside her on the sofa wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"You'll come to America with me won't you?" She hadn't mentioned it before today, he knew she was going but assumed she wanted sometime alone with Grace. "I mean I've booked two tickets and I can get you the time off but I'd understand if you didn't want to go..."

Jacob smiled down at her as she sat away from him. "Of course I'll come with you, I just thought you wanted to go alone-" "God no. If I've got to see Sam again I need you with me... I love you." Jacob moved forwards placing a kiss to her lips.

He pushed her further so that she lay down on the sofa and he began to move so he was leaning above her. Jacob deepened the kiss and moved his hands to the buttons on her shirt as there was a knock at the door.

Connie broke away from his lips laughing resting a hand to his chest. "I'll get rid of them, it's probably nothing anyway..." She left the living room as Jacob went into the kitchen to get a drink.

She opened the front door smiling as she heard Jacob whistling from the kitchen. "Cal?" She looked down as Amy stepped forwards and hugged her. "Connie!" "Hey Amy..." She looked up at Cal over her shoulder to see how exhausted he looked.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go... If you're busy-" "Its fine, come in. I'm sure we can find something for you to do can't we?" She smiled as Amy took her hand, it was the first time she'd ever been to Connie's.

"Wow this is huge... You live with the special nurse?" "Hello again to you too missy, how's the arm?" Amy let go of Connie's hand and skipped over to Jacob talking to him. Connie glanced across and mouthed an apology but he shook his head smiling.

"Come on..." Connie walked into her living room with Cal and sat down facing him. "Cal what's wrong? Has something happened-" "No, I just don't think I can do this you know." 

Connie moved from where she was and sat beside Cal resting a hand on his leg. "I need your help Con, you've always been great with children and she loves seeing you-" "Cal she needs what little family she has around her."

He nodded leaning back on the sofa. "I know but I can't do this-" "You're not alone.  Everyone wants to help, especially me but don't cut yourself down before you've even given it a chance."  Connie wrapped her arms around his shoulders as he let his drop to wrap around her waist. "I really am sorry about dropping in like this.  I'm assuming you were busy-"

Connie pulled away laughing "Please when I say something I mean it, he's not getting anything out of me!"  Cal smiled as Jacob wandered into the room with Amy. She ran across the room and sat up on Connie's lap.

"I've been thinking, I want you and Ethan to take a few weeks out and spend some time with Amy... You all need to adjust and it won't happen while you're working-" "Con I couldn't."  She didn't listen. "Amy who is the boss?" "You are."  Connie nodded smiling towards Cal who just shook his head.

"How does some proper time with your Uncle's sound? Maybe they could take you to football games again-" "Can we!? Please Uncle Cal!"  He smiled nodding as she moved from sitting on Connie's lap to hug him. "Of course we can, whatever you want to do we'll do it... Maybe we could decorate that room of yours too." 

Connie smiled across at them as Cal stood up. "Listen we better go, leave you two to it..." Connie walked out to the door with them dropping down to hug Amy.

"I'm going to America to see Grace at the weekend for a while but I'll make all the arrangements, it starts tomorrow so let Ethan know.  When I'm back I'll come and see how you're all doing."  Cal nodded as Amy smiled.

"Maybe when Grace is back I'll have to bring her over so you can meet her, she'll like you."  Amy began jumping up and down before hugging Connie again. "Thank you Auntie Connie!  Sorry."  She noticed what she'd said and turned away to Cal. "It's alright sweetheart, you call me whatever you want.  I'll see you soon, if you need anything then everyone's here Cal."

He hugged her once more whispering thanks to her again before they left. Connie rest her forehead against the door as Jacob snaked his arms around her waist and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Sorry-" "She's taken to you Auntie Connie... Don't apologise, he needs help and you're the most amazing woman for giving it."

Connie turned in his arms looking up at him. "Have you ever thought about it?"  Connie pulled a face. "Thought about what-" "A family?"  Jacob was unsure whether he should have said anything because it wasn't a hot topic with Connie after everything she'd been through.

"Don't take this as me saying we need to, I was just curious where you were at on the subject..." Connie stayed in his embrace but looked away from him. "I can't say I haven't thought about it, I always dreamed of having children around me and someone I loved but look how well that turned out for me."

Jacob lifted her chin so that she looked at him before bending down and placing a kiss to her lips. "Forget I asked sweet cheeks... Grace is a beautiful girl, let's start there shall we?"  Connie smiled with tears in her eyes knowing now that Jacob wanted that, wanted a family. She just wasn't sure if she could give him that.