Sorry

Jacob sat beside her bed, waiting and praying that she'd wake up soon. They'd operated and it had been a success but it hadn't come without its problems. Connie's heart had stopped again during the procedure but they managed to restart it and get her out as soon as they could.

Jacob had been told that there was no guarantee when she'd wake up. It could have been anywhere from an hour to days. He just prayed it wasn't that long, it had already been three days and he'd not left her side.

"How's she doing?" Jacob looked up to see Elliot. "Good, I think. She's not woken up yet but I hope she will..." Elliot sat down as Jacob paced the room. "She's a fighter, she'll be okay-" "I can't lose her, I can't... I don't want to have to try and live without her."

Jacob glanced out the window not paying attention to the room anymore. "Don't dismiss me that quickly..." He twisted round to see Connie was trying to move herself in the bed. "Connie!?" Jacob was beside the bed holding her hand in a seconds notice. "What?" She began to cough before Elliot passed her some water. "What happened?"

Elliot began running through things with her as she just nodded. "I'm sorry Jacob-" "What for?" She struggled swallowing and winced as she coughed again. "For all this... How's Grace been?" "Worried, scared that she wouldn't get to see you again." Tears came to Connie's eyes as she hugged him.

Jacob closed his eyes as he held her to his chest. It felt good to be close to her again. "So what caused it?" Elliot shook his head. "We're still not sure, they want to run a few more tests... They also weren't sure of any lasting damage until you woke up, so we need to get them to check you over."

Connie nodded as Elliot left the room to find a doctor. She took hold of Jacob's hand causing him to look up at her. "I really am sorry." Connie started coughing again as her chest began to hurt. "Hey, put this on." Jacob passed her the oxygen mask which she reluctantly put on and rested back.

Never once did he let go of her hand. He wouldn't. A doctor had come in and done a few checks but hadn't said much. "Mrs Beauchamp, as far as we can tell it hasn't affected your mobility but we will need to get you up to ensure there was no damage to your spine. How's your chest feeling?" She pulled the mask off nodding. "Painful-" "We'll get you something for that."

If Connie was admitting to it, then Jacob knew it was bad. He rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand as he held onto it. "Is this likely to happen again?" Jacob frowned before the doctor spoke. "As you know, the risks of a repeat are higher but we don't believe you should experience this again-" "But it's a possibility."

Connie rested her head back as she began to cough again. "I want some morphine given and also arrange a chest x-ray, just to be on the safe side." Connie soon fell asleep with Jacob sitting in the chair at her bedside.

It wasn't until he looked up he saw that Connie had woken up and had tears running down her cheeks. "Hey?" Jacob stood up and slipped onto the bed beside her. He moved an arm around her shoulders pulling her onto his chest. "Everything's going to be okay sweet cheeks-" "What if it's not?"

Jacob kissed the top of her head as he held her tight against him. "Don't think like that..." Connie began coughing yet again but this time she struggled to regain her breath. "Hey, calm down... Deep breaths, slowly." Eventually Connie began to drift off to sleep laying beside him. Neither of them had any idea what was going on but soon enough they'd find out, and it was sure to change almost everything about their lives.