Looking Up, Maybe

Connie had taken a few days away from the ED immediately after Elliot's admittance to care for him.  He'd insisted on not having any fuss made but she had made it clear she wasn't leaving him to do it for himself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A month had passed since Elliot's heart attack and Connie was in a state of on, off limbo with Cal.  She enjoyed spending time with him but she wasn't sure if she could really say she loved him.  Cal was smitten with the clinical lead but also had doubts that she felt the same.

At the end of a long shift Connie agreed to go for a drink with Cal across the road.  "Just one and I'm not staying late Cal-" "You're the boss."  She smirked and rolled her eyes as they left the ED together.

Several members of staff were already inside when they walked in.  Connie went to the bar as Cal paid for their drinks before walking in the opposite direction of everyone else earning a frown from her.  "What ashamed to be seen with me-" "Much the opposite, I just thought you might like to sit elsewhere." 

She smiled as they took a seat at a small table the other side of the bar.  The evening drifted by slowly and comfortably before Connie finally spoke up.  "Listen Cal I'm really not sure about this, about us...  If there ever was an us."  He smiled almost expecting it to have come at some point.

"I understand Connie, I thought this would happen sooner or later."  She watched as he sat back before standing up and pulling her coat on.  "I better get going, go and enjoy your evening with everyone else Cal."

She left the pub as Cal stood up and walked to the bar.  He looked around himself, considering several different outcomes for tonight but only one was what he really wanted.  Cal turned and walked for the door before stepping into the cold and running along the path.

"Connie!"  She spun around to see him jogging towards her assuming she'd left something behind but once he caught up to her he moved his hands to settle in the back of her hair and kissed her. At first she didn't respond but soon she felt her hands drape around his neck as he pushed her back up against her car.

Connie deepened the kiss before her lips parted his for breath.  Her eyes met his before he kissed her again.  They separated getting into her car before she drove back to the confines of her house with Cal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Connie stood in the department talking to Rita about the various meetings they had to attend this week on demands from Hansen before Jacob replaced Rita.  "So then Queen B, I see I'm on resus duties with you today-" "Hmm, don't feel special you were the only one left." 

She smiled as he walked alongside her to the entrance of the ED.  "So, how is Elliot now?  I've been meaning to ask you for weeks."  Connie looked across at him as she nodded.  "He's good, recovering well and getting fed up of me fussing over him-" "I'm sure I would too."  She rolled her eyes before they stopped outside.  "And how's Grace?"

Jacob knew it was a risky question to ask, but he really did care.  "Yeah, she seems to be enjoying herself in America.  Thinks it's amazing compared to Holby, but I don't blame her really-" "She must be missing you."  Connie nodded briefly thankful for the interruption of an ambulance.

The day went on slowly and Connie was shocked to find herself laughing most of it while working alongside Jacob.  It had been a while since they'd even spoken, let alone smiled at one another.  "You did well today Staff Nurse Masters, don't let it go to your head."

They parted ways only for Connie to bump into Cal.  "Sorry, Dr Knight is there a problem?"  He shook his head before glancing towards Jacob.  Connie noticed and sighed crossing her arms.  "Seriously is this why you're not talking to me?  Sleep with the boss and notice she speaks to someone else so I'll ignore her."

Cal looked down at her before talking again.  "Well you said yourself that you didn't feel this was right, it doesn't take a genius to work out why..."  he trailed off only to feel Connie's hand move swiftly across his face.  "How dare you even suggest that, no Cal don't bother."

Connie went into her office before leaving for the evening whilst Cal went to drown his sorrows at the bar with several other members of staff.  Connie didn't have the time or effort to deal with any of this now, not when she had several meetings and presentations to organise for this week... Once again her personal issues would have to wait, or they'd catch up to her.