Trying Not To Fall

A week had passed since dinner, meaning it had been a week since they'd kissed. Connie had barely stopped thinking about it wandering if she wanted this to happen or not. She was desperate not to fall for him, desperate not to let him see the mess she really was inside.

"Morning sweet cheeks, since when do you work at this time on a Friday?" Connie looked at him smirking. "And since when do you know my working schedule-" "Touché..." She smiled parting from him and heading to cubicles to treat her first patient of the day.

The day lagged but it was made easier with Jacob by her side. He seemed to make her smile without any effort and she hated it. This was not something she did and it wasn't normal for her mood to be so controlled by a man.

Connie looked about the department noticing the same woman from a couple of weeks ago in reception. "Excuse me, are you looking for Staff Nurse Masters?" "Jacob, yeah-" "You're his sister aren't you?" She scoffed crossing her arms against her chest. "Is that what he told you too?" Connie frowned unsure of what she meant but she didn't get the chance to ask as Jacob walked through the entrance and saw both women.

"Well whoever you are and whatever you want he's behind you, he's all yours." Connie spat bitterly before she turned to walk away, Jacob called after her and stopped beside her. "Let me explain this to you-" "Oh please all you do is lie. Get out of my way Staff Nurse Masters and don't bring this into the ED again, got it?" Connie slammed the door not allowing him another chance to lie his way out of it.

How could she have been so stupid to believe he was different, that he actually cared. Her thoughts were disrupted by Charlie entering her office. "Hey everything okay? It's just I've been stood by your door knocking for the past five minutes and you didn't say a word." Connie nodded as he sat down opposite her.

"What's happened?" "Why do I always get it wrong Charlie?" He wasn't sure what she was talking about and had no idea what she expected him to say. "Why'd he lie?" Charlie watched as Connie leant forward on the desk glancing out the office window. "I don't know but I do know he must have a good reason to do so. If there's one thing I'm sure of it is that he likes you Connie so there must be a reason." She hadn't even noticed that she was watching him as she turned back to Charlie. "I'll leave you to it, but talk to him."

Once again Connie sat alone wanting to hate him but not being able to. Someone else knocked at the door but this time she knew exactly who it was. Don't fall for it again. "Come in." She was blunt and needed to stay that way or he'd get inside again and she couldn't let him do that. "Listen please let me explain everything."

"Well? Im listening." Jacob sat down and looked across at her. She sat leaning back in her chair with her arms folded across her chest. "So she's not my sister, but it was easier than explaining the truth." He sighed and she realised that he genuinely looked upset by something but she still didn't break her facade.

"I used to be into all sorts, drink, drugs, gangs you name it and I've probably done it. She was someone I used to hang around with a lot... She got out with me but recently she's slipped back into it all, I tried helping her but she won't accept it. Now she's got into her head that I should go back with her, but that's something I never want to do again. I'm not about to mess up my life after I've got everything sorted."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you this before but you can see that it's not exactly something you want to tell your boss, let alone the one woman you've only ever had real feelings for." Connie looked at him, her expression slowly softening towards him. She felt bad, really bad and it was turning into guilt for not trusting him. "Anyway, I just wanted to explain it all to you but I'll keep her out of here." Jacob got up and left her office before Connie got up and followed suit.

There was only an hour of her shift left and she worked alongside Jacob in resus. Connie turned from the bed and almost fell before a pair of strong hands fell to her waist. "Careful, couldn't have the boss in a hospital bed now could we?" Connie carefully stood back up looking at Jacob as he looked back at her. He dropped his hands and moved back giving her the room to move again.

As soon as they were done she left the room and went to her office closing the door behind her and leaning against it straight away.

It was too late. There was nothing she could do now. She'd fallen for him and she was certain there was no way she could stop herself. She was bound to hit the floor soon, she just hoped he'd be there to catch her.