Questions

When Connie had finished in resus she wandered the department seeing everything was running smoothly. "Mrs Beauchamp, patient in cubicle 3 needs a doctor.  It's pretty serious..."  She raised her eyebrow at Cal as he stood in front of her. "And you're not a doctor-" "She's my neice, I can't treat her.  Please Connie I need to know she's alright." 

She rolled her eyes nodding. "What have we got?" Cal began reeling off the details before stopping outside the cubicle and looking at her. "I think my sisters partner is hurting her-" "Hang on you don't have a sister Cal-" "I'll explain later, please? Thank you."  She pulled back the curtain to see Jacob already in there.

"Hey my names Connie and I'm a doctor here... Do you want to tell me what happened?"  The girl didn't look much older than 10 and she looked petrified. "I- I... I shouldn't say, he won't like it."

Jacob looked at across at Connie before watching her try again. "Who do you mean sweetheart?"  She just shook her head. "Shall we start again hey?  I'm Connie, what's your name?"  "Amy..."  Connie nodded.

"Okay Amy, I'm just going to have a feel of your tummy."  She nodded as Connie lightly pressed against it before removing her stethoscope and listening to her chest. She seemed to be in some pain but her parents were nowhere to be seen. "Alright, do you know if you have an allergies-" "No she doesn't."

"Uncle Cal! Is Mummy here yet?" He smiled taking her hand. "Not yet but I called her okay."  She nodded before Connie turned to Jacob. "Can we get an IV paracetamol line set up please.  Amy I just need to talk to your Uncle outside alright, I'll leave you with Jacob okay."

Connie pulled the curtain to and wandered over to the nurses' station. "Are you sure about this?" Cal rest his head in his hands as Connie settled a hand to his back. "Hey, it'll be okay. I'll look after her for you. I promise." "I've not seen her for almost 6 years and she turns up like this... They left when I said there was something about him that didn't seem right."

She watched as Cal stood up straight with anger across his face. "Calm down and find Ethan, tell him what's going on. I'll talk to Amy."  She turned away from him and went into the cubicle to see Jacob sitting on a chair beside her talking.

"So you're a football fan?"  Amy nodded before Jacob laughed. "Uncle Ethan used to take me all the time..." She noticed Connie and spoke to her. "Do you like football-" "I'm more of a rugby girl."  Amy smiled while Jacob turned to look at her impressed that he'd not known that about her.

Connie did a few more checks on Amy before they took her upstairs to x-Ray. "Do I have to? It doesn't hurt anymore I'll be fine."  Connie crouched down beside her in the wheelchair and rested a hand on top of hers. "I'll be in there with you, it's just like a giant camera taking a picture."  She reluctantly nodded as Connie walked in with her.

Jacob watched from outside as Connie helped Amy onto the bed. He admired how different she was around children. "Okay I'll be right back."  She moved away from her to pick up a protective apron before moving slightly closer again. "Stay still for me Amy and we'll be out of here in no time."  She nodded and did as Connie said before talking.

"Can they hear us?"  Connie turned to Jacob. "No, not unless I tell them to turn the sound on."  She lied but if she was going to talk she had to. "Please don't tell Uncle Cal, I know he won't like it."  Connie crouched down beside her while she talked.

"It was an accident, I fell over at the park because he shouted at me. I was scared and fell."  Connie nodded as she helped Amy down and into the wheelchair again. "Okay sweetheart, we'll get you back downstairs again while I have a look at the x-rays alright."

Jacob looked towards Connie who shook her head knowing what he was about to say. "Amy Jacob will take you back down and get your Uncles to come and see you then I'll be down."  She nodded as Connie stayed upstairs checking the images over. It was definitely broken but there seemed to be old injuries there too, ones that had never healed properly.

She sighed putting them into an envelope and heading downstairs. "Dr Hanna, Dr Keogh could I have a word?"  They looked up from the patient they were with in resus and left to stand beside her at the nurses' station. "Look at these and tell me what you think."  They held up the images looking together.

"9 year old girl, 'fallen' and hurt her wrist this morning."  Dylan looked at her. "Previous injuries-" "None recorded."  He frowned at her before Zoe spoke. "She must have broken this at least twice before... It's never set properly. It's not a brake from a fall either..."  Connie nodded as Zoe looked at her. "That's what I thought, I just wanted to check."  Zoe passed them back to her as Connie sighed.

"Not admitting anything?"  Connie shook her head. "I'll try again but I can't do much if she won't talk to me-" "If you want me to try come and find me."  Connie nodded as they parted, Connie heading towards her cubicle.

"Mrs Beauchamp."  She turned to see Cal walking towards her. "My sister and the idiot has just got here-" "Keep them away, both of them. I need to talk to her again before she knows they're here."  Cal nodded. "I'm right aren't I?"  She didn't say anything but she didn't need to. "I'll tell them you're with her and that you'll find them when she's ready. They'll be in the relatives room-" "You should stay with them, just don't say anything."

Cal nodded and disappeared while Connie went to try again. "Where the hell is she Cal!?"  He tried calming his sister down. "A doctors with her now, they're just taking her to x-ray to check for anything broken alright... When she's back she'll come get us."  He guided them both towards the relatives room sitting down.

This would be a long day...