The Toll of Winter

We had officially gathered what we needed which included:
3 large blankets
2 cans of soup
3 boxes of matches
Meds from Fritz bag
A pack of hand warmers
And a lot of water bottles

Then we pulled on heavy jackets. I went and fetched Alex and forced him in to a coat.

"I don't wanna go.. I can't leave Fritz side", Alex cried.

"We have to leave Fritz he is dead", I said.

Alex stopped wiggling around and worked with Mark and I. We gather the last of our things and I took one last glimpse of Anna laying on the bed and a tear ran down my face.

"Good run, Anna, good run", I spoke in a whisper as we walked in to the still cold air outside. The snow cover the ground and everything even time stood still for Mark, Alex, and I.
We walked in silence as the snow stuck to my now worn gym shoes.

"Where are we going?", Alex asked as he grabbed my hand and looked up at me.

"Some where safe I suppose", I answered.

"Lets just keep walking straight, everyone is probably already dead", Mark said in a muffled voice. You could tell that his smile and giggles did not exist anymore. I felt really bad. As I walked in the cold weather my eyes looked at Alex. He was so naive, gullible, and just so helpless. We walked back on to the highway, where the cabin could not be seen. Winter had taken a toll on us and I hated it. I listened to the shuffling of Alex who had let go from my hand and was dragging his feet behind him.

"99 bottles of milk on the wall...99 bottles of milk on the..", I began to sing.

"Wall 99 bottles of milk take one down pass it around 98 bottles of milk on the wall", Mark joined in. I could hear poor Mark sniffling. I knew he was crying but I did not ask. Mark walked in front of Alex and I. We sand 99 bottles of Milk on the wall all the way to the 50 bottle. By then the song rang through our ears. We had walked for about a hour and then I heard growls.

"Not now please..", Alex said.

"We are gonna be fine where are they", I asked.

"There", Mark began to point at a slope that we were standing under. At the top I saw a hoard of zombies. "Alex go climb up a tree Maddie and I can take them",.

"Okay..", Alex said running to a pine tree covered in snow and I watched him shimmies up the tree.

"Whats the plan?", I asked.

"Don't you have a plan?", Mark asked as a bunch started coming at us.

"Not really but our best bet is to just beat the living crap out of them!", Mark exclaimed as 3 got really close. I was able to grab two  sticks that looked sturdy enough for the job. I passed one to Mark.

"3....2...1", I whispered. Then as I started to fight I began to smile and cry. I missed hearing the voices of my friends. Jack... Anna... Bob... Aaron... Kate.. all of them. I wondered if Annalee was dead or alive. I didn't have time to think about her for the split second because I heard a small scream from behind me from in the tree. I hit the last zombie in front of me and helped Mark with the rest of the dead ones.

I ran to the tree Alex was and then I stopped and screamed.

"What is it?", Mark said as he ran next to me.

Alex...laid on the ground and blood was coming out of his head. I stepped to Alex's side and tried to see if he was alive.

"Alex.. Rookie..", I spoke softly.

Alex did not stir and then one eye opened.

"Alex, your gonna be okay", I said as I grabbed the backpack off of Mark and grabbed a cloth and was about to clean up Alex's bleeding head but Alex raised his hand and kept my hand with the cloth to touch Alex's forehead.

"Maddie....Pleas don't try to help me....I don't want to be apart of this world anymore... This sucks", Alex said in a calm voice.  "I would rather be with Fritz, Kate, Mike, and the others",.

"Dont say that Alex", I said.

"Kid, you cant just end it now and give up", Mark said as a tear ran down his face.

"Mark.. I am done with this stuff", Alex said with a cough. Alex's eyes began to close.

Then he said something that sent a chill down my spine.

"Fritz..do you need anything?", Alex spoke before his body went limp.

"Rookie was done", Mark cried. "He gave up",.

"He was too young anyway", I began to say crying. "He went a long way you know?",.

"Yep, god bless that kid", Mark said.

"Mark I want you to promise me something?", I said.

"What is it Maddie?", Mark asked.

"Dont leave me", I said.

Mark sat quiet as it began to snow again.

"I wont leave you", Mark said with a trusting smile. I hugged Mark. Alex was gone