Chapter XXVI | The Puzzle That Refuses to be Solved

A/N- Special thanks to @Grace_the_hedgehog who made a comment that inspired the reading of the prophecy, backwards. (I bet you weren't expecting a thanks or your comment to be turned into an idea, @Grace_the_hedgehog)

The long school day finally drew to a halt. Homework that was due the next day was completed, and dinner was served. You were now in the Restricted Section of the library, absentmindedly flipping through pages of The Lightning Thief. You had gotten here before the rest of the group and you were waiting for them to come. You had decided to sort more books, because your punishment would never be over if the Restricted Section was never sorted out.

Besides sorting the books, your mind drifted to Jane. Your conscience made you feel really bad for excluding her. It wanted to be friends with her, and wanted to help her. But the small evil part of you thought that Jane deserved all that she got. You then realized that the only reason you hated Jane, the only reason you had so many negative thoughts towards her, was because of Carlos. You were always a little (okay, a lot) jealous of her whenever she was with Carlos. And all the jealousy had turned into hate. All the negative feelings just because of one guy. It was funny what love could do to a person. No wonder Maleficent chose to ignore it.

"Boo." You felt a cold hand on your neck as a voice whispered into your ear. You jumped in place, startled, and turned around.

It was just Mal. "What the Isle, Mal! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" You exclaimed.

Mal shrugged. "Sorry?"

"Oh my Auradon, is that The Lightning Thief?" Evie skipped in front of you and stood next to Mal.

"What kind of greeting is that?" Mal asked.

"Oh, hi Mal, I didn't see you there," Evie said, teasingly.

"This is The Lightning Thief," you answered Evie's question.

"Doug recommended it to me and it was amazing! Wait a minute, there was a prophecy in that book!" Evie said.

"Prophecy?" Mal asked, curious. "Would it help us?"

"Well, the book states that no matter how you try to prevent a prophecy, it will always come true. Something along that line." Evie said.

"Hello!" Lonnie greeted as she came along the aisle with Carlos behind her.

"Hey," Carlos said.

"Hi."

"Okay, let's get this discussion started!" Mal pulled the book on the shelf, and the staircase was revealed.

🌸Time Lapse🌸

"This room isn't that small," Carlos commented, looking around. "It could probably fit my homeroom class!"

"Carlos, we were hinting that we didn't want Jane," Evie said.

"She said it, not me!" Lonnie exclaimed when Carlos gave Evie a weird look.

"Speaking of Jane, Carlos, why did you have to choose that time to break up with her?" You asked. "Couldn't you see that she was all 'down in the dumps' already? You didn't have to go and make it worse!"

"Sorry," Carlos apologized.

"Don't say that to me! Say it to Jane!" You scolded.

"But in my defense," Carlos continued. "I was going to break up with her before she was all down. But why did you invite her to the discussion, if you don't trust her?"

"We didn't invite her," Evie said. "It just happened that Jane was there when Mal came and rushed us all to the lake. Then, Jane came along and she got the memo to meet there."