Chapter LXV - Prophecy Unraveled

"It's so not cool how you learned magic without me," (B/f/n) pouted as the spirals of your spell freed the two of you from the confinements of Professor Camilia's cell. You had tried to cast the spell as soon as possible, but the two of you had decided to wait five minutes just in case the professor came back to check on you. Now, you were five minutes behind.

"Let's go," (B/f/n) tugged at the pendant around her neck, "do you think we should risk taking this off with your magic?"

"It might alarm Professor Camilia that you escaped," you frowned, "though it might be dangerous to keep on..."

"In that case, let's just go," (B/f/n) decided, "dragon first, pendant later." Her eyes flickered to the vision portal that Professor Camilia had left open earlier. You saw a shadow descend onto the field and a dragon crash down, unleashing a ferocious roar. (B/f/n) locked her eyes with yours and the two of you raced to the scene.

༻º❀º༺

The first mistake that the two of you made was forgetting that you had to stop Professor Camilia, not the dragon. The Professor was standing right next to the beast, with a barrier seeming to keep the dragon down, and the whole body of Auradon Prep was gathered around her in shock and admiration.

"It's all right now," the professor said calmly, her voice echoing through the field. "I was one step ahead of the evil doers. I've predicted all of their moves. Good has won again!"

The crowd cheered, smiles broke out, shoulders sagged in relief, and someone even let out a whistle. Professor Camilia looked triumphantly at the school body until her applause was interrupted.

"Professor, you're a sick liar!" All eyes turned to (B/f/n), who had spoken the words, and to you as well. The two of you had just arrived on the scene to witness the teacher's little speech. Now it was your turn to fight back. And that was the second mistake.

Professor Camilia turned to the two of you, a smile breaking out on her face when her back was to the crowd, "I really had hoped that my suspicions were wrong." Camilia's voice hardened with accusation. "That the break up of two of the loveliest Auradon students was just the usual friendship quarrel." You suddenly felt a knot in your stomach. What was she trying to do?

"I'd always see the two of you laugh together during lunches. Breaks. Anytime that you could have together, you spent together. So it came as a big surprise to me when the two of you weren't friends anymore." You didn't have to look to know that (B/f/n) had clenched her fists in anger. This had all been Professor Camilia's fault.

"So of course something had to be up. I just didn't know you had it in you to do something to this extent," Professor Camilia gestured to the dragon, her expression finally changing to match the tone of her voice. "Why?"

The third mistake was freezing at the demanding question that Professor Camilia had asked. Why? Because it had been the professor that had broken your friendship. It was the professor who had summoned the dragon. It was the professor who made the prophecy come to light. You opened your mouth to speak, but the demands and stares from the crowd overwhelmed you. And that was when you made your fourth mistake.

You looked at Carlos.

His hair was messy as if he'd just woken up and didn't bother to brush it. But it was even worse than usual; it was tousled and disheveled as if he'd spent a restless night unable to sleep at all. If that didn't mean anything, the dark eye shadows under his dull brown eyes did. There was no way that it was makeup, and you knew that it was authentic and real. A lump gathered in your throat and you swallowed down a cry. He'd been looking for you. In the past day or so that you had gone missing he had been looking for you. And if your heart hadn't been broken by his physical appearance already, it was thrown across the floor and scattered like a million pieces of glass at the expression on his face: the hurt, the confusion, and the stinging pain of betrayal that was painted all over it. You could almost imagine yourself standing where he was, looking at the dragon and then to you with despair and dread and thinking: if my mother didn't love me, why would I really believe anyone else would?